TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read psts upon posts on this topic and not looking to get into fights with people on this. i know people say dont and some say its fine. im not going crazy with mine.

stock 95 mark coild conversion but the rear sits a tad higher than the front. so i want to take the rear down a tad. ive read HOW to cut them, no heat and with cutoff wheel etc., and take a little off at a time and to cut end opposite of the end that lets the springs stand on their own(non flat end)

i was looking to go and get V8 Tbird junkyard springs and cut those as a trial run. and if come out good enough may leave them in. is there any problem with this? i read of people cutting sport or SC springs but wouldnt LX springs do just as well for me? im talking MAYBE 1" max for the rear.

being LX i dont think they will be progressive springs, but thought id ask before i do anyting.

thanks guys
Dean

·
Registered
799 Posts
you should be good useing the bird springs.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
The only thing to keep in mind is that cutting springs will make them stiffer, since now the same load is spread over fewer coils. In a MarkVIII, that might not be what you are looking for, but then again from the sounds of it you will only be taking off probably half a coil, maybe one full coil, so it probably wouldn't be too noticable if you start with LX springs. However SC springs with one coil cut off are very stiff, so you probably don't want to go that route.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MadMickeyL thanks alot thats what i was looking for. i didnt find a reason to go search for Sport/SC springs and thought the LX ones would be fine. i have 2 good J/Y around me and would be able to fine some easily.

and yes i will only be taking off just a little, nothing crazy like dropping it 2" or anything like that.

·
Administrator
8,216 Posts
Looking for springs? Ahem, ahem, Joe clears his throat to get Dean's attention!

Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm i wonder if anyone has some laying around they could part with?? :)

Joe you have a PM!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One thing you will have to remember is that the rear springs will need to have the Mark Viii spring perches addeed to it. Do not be afraid to cut the springs. I did a write up on SCCoA a few years ago and have been driving the car since. It works great. The only problem is the front strut mount (to the body) holes need to be lengthened if you go more than an inch and a half.

SWS

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well after getting the Tbird springs from Joe i ened up taking off the rubber isolator boots on each end and threw them in. i didnt have to end up cutting anything. she sits nice and level now just at 24" from bottom of rim to top of fender well all around.

as soon as i put them in without the rubbers i realized how easy they slid in in comparison to the American Air springs. for that fact i knew it would sit lower. if i need it higher i can always throw in 1 boot on each spring.

ill have to get a picture next weekend.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Indeed.

SWS

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pics from this weekend

well put the springs in and then went for a little photoshoot

all pics can find HERE

but ones that pertain to this thread:

i was only needing 1/2" drop in the rear so it may not look drastic, but it IS level now which is exactly what i was going for. and no sacrifice in any ride quality

1 - 11 of 11 Posts