TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was just wondering if any of you have had your springs cut? And if so, by whom?
I just ordered a set of Dante Rev rims(17") and it really needs lowering badly.:(

Thanks,

Adam B.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
I see a can of worms opening on this one. My opinion, it can and has been done, if your into performance you should probably buy a set of engineered lowering springs. I ran mine cut for 5 years, I cut them myself, then changed them out for other lowering goodies. Most will say buy springs for it though.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yep...

since you are from hillbilly country, no one will notice your truck wheel gap on a car :D
besides what hillbilly would ghetto their car?:p

BUY SPRINGS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
everyone has an opinion, but it's real simple if you just stop and think for a second, if you have x number of coils on a spring rating at y pounds per square inch, and you cut say 1 1/4 coils out, then your car is lower but your left with an increased spring rate because now your coils have less area to travel for spring compression thus increasing your spring rate. You do however, loose some of your progressive spring rate, depending upon the number of coils you cut, but any bouncy bouncy as i see some call it, are only caused by your shocks/struts. And your negative camber would still be the same rather you cut your springs for 2 inch drop or used "profesional" lowering springs. (/ \), 30 bucks to have them realigned takes care of most of that.

So with all my choices and situation for me personally, I'm cutting my springs, hopefully this weekend if I get the right response I need. (hint hint :))

I want a 2 inch drop in front, and 1 1/2 in rear (rear sags now due to trunk wieght) I need to know exactly how much coil to cut for that desired look. Someone whos done it, if you dont know exact, then say you cut 1 1/2 coil and got a 2 inch drop, then it's not difficult to guess that 1 1/4 coil cut would give a 1 3/4 drop. it's on a 94 sc. 3.8

I'm not a carpenter and havnt lowered before, but I can grasp concepts. I've been told that all I have to do is jack the front, rent or buy some spring clamps, cut the desired amount of coil off the bottom (angle grinder with correct blade and friend squirting water to limit heat tranfer), rotate spring to align cut with perch,drop her back down and your done. its not that easy is it, just pop off a tire and begin cutting???? I need step by step instructions if you can gents. I appreciate it. hell, I'll even create a digital slideshow so you guys dont have to keep answering this for everyone.

thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Robinson said:
the ride will be harsh to say the least.
I have been wondering about this for awhile. Since the stock springs are a linear rate spring and not progressive, would cutting them make a car ride rougher? I am talking if you was to only lower it by 1 1/2 or so. I could see if someone was to cut a set of progeressive springs where the ride would become harsh. But then again that would depend on which end of the spring that you cut off, I guess it could get softer.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The bouncy bouncy is caused by the change in spring rate, and if you cut your springs, you will get some bounce. The amount depends on how much you cut them. It is not caused by the shocks. It is caused by the change in spring rate, and the fact that the first few coils, (the ones you cut out) are the ones responsible for your soft ride, then you are left with the stiff coils that are designed to hold your car up, and handle the big bumps. Sure, upgraded shocks will help this, but you would be happier with springs that are designed to be shorter. I've cut my springs in the past, ask anyone who saw my XR7 when it was about 4" lower, but I was never happy, and ended up going back the opposite way, and bought sport springs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
imma have to agree with bagged89

i had cut springs for 2 years rode was not affected much but i like the ride that way u feel the road more just like having lowprofile tires u feel the road more ....they save up and bag it or juice it i had mine bagged but i prefer juice over bags had a bag incident so i switched to juice ...just my preference..., david

·
Registered
698 Posts
ok, off technicallity, you won't hurt a damn thing unless you heat up the springs and change the composition of the metal. so, i don't see anything wrong with it, but i would rather just buy them instead of dicking around with your springs and **** all day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
shouldnt take more than 3 hours I figure, this is what i'm waiting on feed back on, so I know the step by step, I know in other vehicles, you can just jack at the arm and compress your spring, remove your tire, and clamp the spring, set it back down on jackstands and your springs will have play in em, cut your bottom and rotate your spring back into the perch, done. at least thats how i"ve seen it done on imports, can this be done the same way on tbirds????

·
Registered
965 Posts

If you talking about removing all springs, cutting them and re-installing the in 3 hours I would you are being very optimistic. I had my springs replaced recently @ shop that does nothing but suspension work, from tractor trailers to rice buggies to 4x8 trailers. It took them 5+ hrs including the front end alignment time. So unless you’re a pro with the right tools, I'd guess you’re going to spend a solid day removing, cutting and replacing them. Don't forget to get the front end aligned that is if you can after cutting the springs. I've known of several people who could not get the correct camber setting after lowering their cars merely 2".

You may want to check your local laws also, many states (including VA) will fail your car on a state inspection for cutting or heating coil springs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
no, not removing the springs, cutting them in place, thats why you jack and clamp, release jack pressure to jack stands, and cut bottom coil. but like I said, I need to know if this would work on our cars, I know many do it like that on other vehicles, is there anything preventing us from the same on ours. I've glanced at the front and I think it can be done there, but how about hte rear, I havnt had her up on a lift yet, do I have the room to put a spring compressor on her back there????

with all you folks who have dropped your car, your telling me you've never heard of the jack and clamp method, all you have to do is take off the tire so you can get in there. cut, release, and decompress. I just need to know if it can be done on our car and how much coil to cut. thankx

·
Registered
242 Posts
of course it can. thats how mine was done.Just jack it up and take the spring out using a spring compressor, and use the saw, but make sure they are cut precise and dont take too much off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks isax, I was the guy in the other post you answered when I was talking about cutting them without removing them. thanks for the input though. I've got all my info now, not using a compressor anymore, just spring clamps to hold them while compressed by the jack, then lowering the jack on stands thus leaving the springs compressed and able to cut in place. thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts