TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I started my P&P today. I now see that for this to be sucessful I will have to some way cut open the manifold. Where is the best spot to cut?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
right between the top of the "Fuel Injected" and the bottom of the Thick line above it. thats where the ports start, I've cut a few of these open so far, I got lucky on the first one, I quessed and cut it there :D

ALSO shorten the runners where the blue lines are (about 1 ") and leave the area with the red lines alone in this picture.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the advantage of shortning the runners?

Also, I have been looking for an itake spacer, do you know a place that sells them. If I cut part of another manifold off at the base, would this function just as well as an intake spacer?

Thanks for the pic and responce!

Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
shorting the runners allow the engine to breath better on the top end with a slight loss on the bottom end (I felt no low end loss and could feel the gain on the top end with just the ported upper on, also pulled .2 faster on the g-tech......

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now is there any tricks for the lower intake, or is it just smoothing out all of those seems? Also how much metal did you take off the upper intake? Do you maybe remerber some numbers from micromertering the intake ports. I have heard that taking off to much metal is a bad thing, so I dont want to do to much.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I removed just enough metal to get rid of the bumpy stuff on the upper intake, and polished them to a mirror like shine. On the lower intake you will notice where the bolt bosses kind of protrude out into the ports close to the head, you can smooth those out to be flush with the sidewall of the ports, Also on the lower remove just enough material to get rid of the "seams" and polish to a nice dull mirror like shine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help!
One last question; I have no acess to the machines to cut my manifold and to weld it. So I will be paying a shop to cut& weld. How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
should cost no more than 25$ to cut it open and 50$ to weld it back together.
I cut mine with a HUGE power band/hacksaw in about 3 minutes. It took me about 40 minutes to weld it back together with a TIG welder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts