TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious haven't been able to find it on here thus far. What is the size of the nut that connect the CV axle/Half Shaft to the Knuckle/Hub assembly? It's ridiculously large, bigger than my 32mm at least. Also, while I am here, what is the torque specs on that nut??

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats maxing out my torque wrench! Ok thanks for the information.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Make sure that breaker bar is warranteed. :) And front wheels are securely chocked.
Sad part is anything less than a shop impact wrench wont do it, either. You need the kind that'll snap your lug studs right off.

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
Make sure that breaker bar is warranteed. :) And front wheels are securely chocked.
Sad part is anything less than a shop impact wrench wont do it, either. You need the kind that'll snap your lug studs right off.
Pettyfog - Not our fault you're whiplash thin :diablo:

At 5 foot 8 and 315 pounds, with a 24" breaker bar, I have NO problem getting them off *snrk*

It's you whisper thin guys what has fits :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's not impossible to remove, even in the junkyard.

I hit the set I removed with a good dose of your loosener of choice (PB or Kroil, I used Kroil).

That and standing on a Craftsman 1/2" drive with a screwdriver holding lugs from turning got both loose.

Now putting them on is another story ;)

The manuals recommend you use new bolts when putting them back on. With the amount of Torque involved, I would agree.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Snap-On impact that I paid a pretty penny for so hopefully it will knock it off. haha.

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
The manuals recommend you use new bolts when putting them back on. With the amount of Torque involved, I would agree.
The kind of bolts they are is why you don't want to reuse them.

They are either purposely deformed, or multiple layers each with slightly different threads; they will not come off by themselves if set properly, but they "roll form" the threads when they get taken off in a way that will let them come off easier. And it gets easier each time you use them from there...

Remember to roll the wheel when you reinstall these; the bearings will move very slightly under the large torque, and you want the bearings touching when you put final torque on it. Take it up to the final torque in two or three steps.

I also recommend rechecking them daily for a few days after you install one; I'd hate to lose a wheel. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
The kind of bolts they are is why you don't want to reuse them.

They are either purposely deformed, or multiple layers each with slightly different threads; they will not come off by themselves if set properly, but they "roll form" the threads when they get taken off in a way that will let them come off easier. And it gets easier each time you use them from there...

Remember to roll the wheel when you reinstall these; the bearings will move very slightly under the large torque, and you want the bearings touching when you put final torque on it. Take it up to the final torque in two or three steps.

I also recommend rechecking them daily for a few days after you install one; I'd hate to lose a wheel. :)
Good to note. I did put in new bearings on the knuckles (or rather had a shop do it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts