TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to install a rear cv axle on a 92 sport thunderbird. I was told to replace the hub. I have drum brakes. I have vibration.
I was told that I have to cut the old hub off to get the axle off. I guess I should replace the hub anyway. Where can I get a new hub? And is there a way to get the axle off without cutting the hub?
Tom

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,570 Posts
I know the spindles changed in 93, but I can't imagine the basic design is THAT much different that you'd need to cut the spindle and/or hub to get the half shaft out.

You should be able to get the half shaft out by removing the hub retaining nut, and undoing the bolts that hold the spindle to the control arms. The half shaft should just slide out of the pumpkin and bearing/hub on the spindle at that point. You might need to pop the half shaft out of the pumpkin with a screwdriver to disengage the retaining circlips but otherwise it just slides out. Unless there's rust. :)

Is there any reason in particular behind replacement of the hub? If the bearing is OK the hub should also be fine. You can press it out of the bearing to inspect it if necessary.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what is causing the vibration. I took it for someone to look at. I was told that the hub could be damage due to the vibration.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Jack up the wheel in question and see if it has any movement perpendicular to the axle. If you can push the front/rear of the tire and get movement, it's likely the hub bearing is bad. You may or may not need to replace the hub. You won't really know until you take it apart and press the hub out of the bearing. You may want to look at the upper inner rear control arm bushings for play as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you
Jack up the wheel in question and see if it has any movement perpendicular to the axle. If you can push the front/rear of the tire and get movement, it's likely the hub bearing is bad. You may or may not need to replace the hub. You won't really know until you take it apart and press the hub out of the bearing. You may want to look at the upper inner rear control arm bushings for play as well.
thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts