TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the halfshafts on my 4.6 95 tbird, the "knocking" is getting worse. I know I can get reman replacements anywhere but how good are these? I have 3:73 gears in the rear and I'd like some good joints that are going to last and hold up to some abuse. Are SC halfshafts better than stock 4.6 shafts?

Mike

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Yes SC half shafts are better but they come with 1 shaft bigger than the other. If you find 2 SCs then you can have 2 of whats called fat shafts. Or you can upgrade with mark8 HS's, the gen1 has hardened outer joints and the gen2s have the strongest OEM shafts available. There are even stronger HS available aftermarket the Horsepower TV tbird used 1600 halfshafts. SO yeah you have choices. I run gen2 mark8 halfshafts np.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the gen 2 mark VIII halfshafts are a direct "bolt" in? So are the aftermarket mark VIII halfshafts any good?

Mike

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
So the gen 2 mark VIII halfshafts are a direct "bolt" in? So are the aftermarket mark VIII halfshafts any good?

Mike
Yeah they LOL "bolt in" just fine. More like "slide in" but yeah they work fine, all mn12s andfn10s can use each others HS's.

There is a pecking order in which ones can handle the most abuse(v6s got tooth picks, v8s sohc are better, sc's have fat shafts, mark8 have ones that are just as strong or stronger in the case of gen 2s).

Get mark8 HS's or 2 fat shafts from a SC. No one I know of here uses aftermarket shafts because you can run 10s on OEM parts mostly is why I think thats the case.

For 1600 those shafts better be good LOL at 1600 half shafts I can get you SC or mark half shafts far cheaper and not rusted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah they LOL "bolt in" just fine. More like "slide in" but yeah they work fine, all mn12s andfn10s can use each others HS's.

There is a pecking order in which ones can handle the most abuse(v6s got tooth picks, v8s sohc are better, sc's have fat shafts, mark8 have ones that are just as strong or stronger in the case of gen 2s).

Get mark8 HS's or 2 fat shafts from a SC. No one I know of here uses aftermarket shafts because you can run 10s on OEM parts mostly is why I think thats the case.

For 1600 those shafts better be good LOL at 1600 half shafts I can get you SC or mark half shafts far cheaper and not rusted.
LOL! Exactly, there is no way I'm spending $1600 on halfshafts. I haven't seen any gen 2 mark VIII's in any of the yards I go to. PM sent

·
Banned
5 Posts
For the record only the right side manual trans sc has the fatter shaft at 1.5 inches.

All other sc's, autos, and the left side manual trans sc's, came with 1.2 inch dia. shatfs.

The 4.6 birds came with shatfs that are 1.08 inches in dia..

Harden Mark VIII shafts sound good, and that's the second time such has been mentioned in this forum that I'm aware of.

Beware when searching junkyards for used shafts. They may not be period correct. Same too with reman. shafts from a parts provider. New shafts from Ford are discontinued.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts