·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I have 2 codes.. egr no flow detected and cyl #1 misfire
Now when I start the car all is good and she runs on all 8,
but after about a min cyl #1 cuts out, she begins to smoke
and smells really rich, im guessing that's because the fuel
being dumped in and not burned, but why?
Any ideas where to start??

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Injector hanging open; it's been known to happen.

The injector is usually good - it's a circuit in the ECM that shorts out.
Try another 1995 ECM.

What's weird is yours only does it once it warms up a little - like when the ECM tries to enter closed-loop mode.

Well, I'd try a different ECM first. If you can't get one, let me know and I'll set you up.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
A quick way to check whether that is the problem without spending any money is to take a long flat-head screwdriver, place the tip against the injector with the car running, and put your ear up against the handle. You should be able to hear the injector clicking as it runs. Compare it to some of the other injectors, and if it is not firing, you will clearly be able to hear the difference. If the injector is clicking the same as the rest, then you have another problem. If the injector is not clicking, you need to replace the ECM with another from a 94/95 4.6 tbird. Also, if it is the ECM, I have one from a 95 for $50 shipped.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
A quick way to check whether that is the problem without spending any money is to take a long flat-head screwdriver, place the tip against the injector with the car running, and put your ear up against the handle. You should be able to hear the injector clicking as it runs. Compare it to some of the other injectors, and if it is not firing, you will clearly be able to hear the difference. If the injector is clicking the same as the rest, then you have another problem. If the injector is not clicking, you need to replace the ECM with another from a 94/95 4.6 tbird. Also, if it is the ECM, I have one from a 95 for $50 shipped.
If you have a 1995, make sure to get an ECM from another 95. The one from a 94 will work, but the shift schedule is different and you will DEFINITELY notice it.

I ran a 94 ECM in my 95 for about 6 months and got it swapped out to another 95 before it ruined my tranny.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks madmikey I will try that now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Injector hanging open; it's been known to happen.

The injector is usually good - it's a circuit in the ECM that shorts out.
Try another 1995 ECM.

What's weird is yours only does it once it warms up a little - like when the ECM tries to enter closed-loop mode.

Well, I'd try a different ECM first. If you can't get one, let me know and I'll set you up.
thanks rick, and one other thing do you think my chip might have anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thanks rick, and one other thing do you think my chip might have anything to do with it?
Do you have a tune? Or a chip snapped on your ECM? If you have a chip snapped on, I would definitely try disconnecting that first to see if it makes a difference!

But I personally have never seen a chip cause an injector to hang, but I'm not all that experienced with aftermarket tuning, either.

Can't hurt to try returning your car to stock and see if the problem goes away!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its a stage 1 jet chip snapped on the ECM and as you suggested I unplugged and still no difference. I'm all out of ideas so it is now being looked at by a local mechanic who happens to be a TCCoA member! such a small world lol

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The EGR no flow code is proabably due to clogged up EGR passages on the intake or a faulty/stuck EGR valve. Getting the EGR off to clean is a PITA on the 95's. Removing the wiper cowl helped some when I did it on my 95.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts