TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any d/s that i could use w/ the 3.8? i was told the mk8 shaft is too long. I have a pretty decent shake at highway speed. i'm thinking d/s. front suspension is new and aligned, and all mounts are new as well. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tires balanced, new mounts as of last weekend. have not touched rear suspension. what should i look for back there. thats a whole new world to me.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Any and all of the rubber bushings supporting the center section, the spindles, the control arms.

If you're convinced its the driveshaft, just take it to a shop and have it balanced. Cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm really not convinced of anything. i was hoping to diagnose it. i was thinking d/s because i didn't think rear suspension would make the wobble that i was feeling. could be tho, as i said it's still stock (as far as i know) and has at least 200k on it... thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i'll be at the exhaust shop this afternoon fixing my leak and i'll look while it's on the lift. what does a bad u-joint look like. there are 2 right? (front/back of d/s?)

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I bought a 93 Markviii shaft and had it balanced with new u joints and yoke .
I have receipts for the work totaling over 100.00 plus the 100.00 I spent to
get the shaft .

It still does not work for my car , I will spend the 450-500 for a real shaft this
weekend .

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can get a 93 (1-piece) mk8 shaft for $50 that i'd have to pull. thing is someone said it wont work w/ 3.8 so i'm not gonna even try. i'd just like to find the prob i have. sucks you got to take one in the rear... luck with the new shaft

·
5,650 Posts
well, i'll be at the exhaust shop this afternoon fixing my leak and i'll look while it's on the lift. what does a bad u-joint look like. there are 2 right? (front/back of d/s?)
It may not be a look so much as a feel. Basically if there is any play in the joint by turning the driveshaft side to side or moving it up/down/left/right, the u-joint is bad.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thanks. and you said all rubber too, right. should be easy enough to check...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
as long as you have a 4r70w (which you do) it will work. The transmission mounts in the same position as the mark viii's so it will slide in to your transmission and bolt up to your rear differential. I bought a mark viii driveshaft at the junkyard for my 95 and it works flawlessly with the joints that came in it (Of course, I inspected them first). My 93, on the other hand, had an AOD, so that required an aftermarket shaft, which I actually just sold yesterday, brand new, for a great price to someone on these boards.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i'm now being told it will work? oh well, too much work involved. i checked the u-joints. def. some play there. also, my new trans mount is no longer new, it's broken. also, i noticed that the inside of my rear tires if wearing faster than the outside. seems i have some work to do back there. damn , i don't have the money for this....

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, with the car in park, i was able to turn the d/s maybe a 1/4inch. is that normal? or is that the u-joints? also, what do i do for the tire problem? thanks for the advice

·
5,650 Posts
The output shaft on the transmission and the pinion gear on the differential both have a little bit of play. This is completely normal. What would not be normal is if after reaching the end of one side of the play you can keep going and you see the u-joint flex. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think so, you mean turn it as far as the play allows, and then keep trying to turn it and see if the u-joint flexes? and by "flex" do you mean metal flexing or the u-joint kind of turning? i think you meant the latter. and if it is, what's the cause?

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah turn it as much as the play allows and look at the u-joint. See if it looks loose or twists/turns at all. It should be completely tight. If it isn't, it needs to be replaced. The causes of failed u-joints are age, bad driveline mounts, an out of balance driveshaft or abuse.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i think i've determined that the joints are bad. do i have to pull the shaft to change them. i would believe so. if so, i'll get the d/s re-balanced. also, does anyone know where to get a poly/solid trans mount?

edit: you said if there was any up/down or side/side play it was u-joint right? that play is there

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah there shouldn't be any movement besides the slight movement of turning side to side. Make sure though that it's the joint between the driveshaft and the yoke that's moving and not anything else though. It would suck to pull it out and find out it's not the problem. You do have to pull the driveshaft to get to the joints. There are essentially 2 ways.

1) Drop the gas tank and remove it
2) Remove the differential and pull it out

You should be able to buy a solid trans mount at an auto parts store (just specify you want solid rubber, not hydraulic) or from Bill at SCP (supercoupeperformance.com).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts