TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 97 LE. I recently went to an automatic car wash and upon exiting I noticed my od light was dimmly lit. It wouldn't turn off when I pushed the button, it would only light up fully, leading me to believe that water was completing a circuit somewhere (a sensor?). A half a mile down the road I got stopped at a red light and my car stalled out completely and took a few tries to restart...and once it started up again it wouldn't shift. I was on a 55 mph road and accelerated to about 45mph without it shifting. I let off of the gas and the RPMs dropped to 1k and the gar felt and sounded as though it was merely idling. There was no engine drag slowing me down. Remember I was going 45 mph in 1st gear so my engine should've been screaming!!

This is my daily driver and I must have a car to get to work!

Please help...anyone!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Sounds like the carwash pushed some water into the MPLS maybe, either that or the main harness connection for the trans. Don't really know how to go about drying it out other than time. Maybe give it a day and see if it shifts normally again. If not, pop the harness off and dry it out and re-test. I've had this happen on my 95 before, and that MLPS doesn't have the nice seal yours does.

Jay

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FordMan77 said:
Sounds like the carwash pushed some water into the MPLS maybe, either that or the main harness connection for the trans. Don't really know how to go about drying it out other than time. Maybe give it a day and see if it shifts normally again. If not, pop the harness off and dry it out and re-test. I've had this happen on my 95 before, and that MLPS doesn't have the nice seal yours does.

Jay
Unfortunately when I said recently, that means close to a month ago. I too, thought giving it time to dry out might help. I have just now decided to post something now that winter is on it's way full throttle.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Its an electrical problem and the only gear you have now is second. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what the problem is without having the car to check out.

Darrin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At one point I remember hearing something about 02 sensors having something to do with shifting. It doesn't make sense to me...but I know I was in need of replacing them. I am rather discouraged without a vehicle!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
There is some common wiring on the O2's and the MLPS that can cause a problem under the right conditions.

Darrin

·
Registered
704 Posts
Darrin said:
Its an electrical problem and the only gear you have now is second. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what the problem is without having the car to check out.

Darrin
Hey Darrin, You told me the same thing last week... and

YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!

my 1R70w is now a 4R70W again!

many thanks for your time sir!!!

Tommy

P.S. It turned out to be the circuit board inside the pan, replaced the circut board.. and POOF..FIXED!

Thanks again sir!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't know...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
704 Posts
???

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Dude, you have to go find the problem. This one isn't diagnosable over the internet. If you only have one forward gear then you have an electrical problem.

Darrin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts