TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am seriously about to hurt someone. even in 30 degree weather, my temp gauge will slowly rise up to the red area, ill get a check fuel light, it will stay on for about 30 seconds, then go back to normal. im pretty sure its not trapped air, since i have cracked that vent plug open to let hot air escape so many times. my water pump was replaced in august, t-stat replaced last summer, flushed radiator in october, hoses replaced and cooling system flushed two years ago (i think) by my dad. no white smoke, no coolant in the oil. the side coolant reservior bottle doesnt seem to hold water/coolant. i should note that i think that i have a slow coolant leak, although im not sure where its coming from. no signs of coolant leaking under the car, and i cant smell any coolant after i open the hood after driving around. the level of coolant in my radiator dropped some to about 5-6 inches below the neck, could be more. i noticed that theres an off-white type of plastic tube inside the radiator, and this "tube" looks warped and bent. ill probably replace my t-stat again. any ideas as to why im still overheating?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
that's weird that it would loose that much coolant but not show signs of losing it anywhere. Maybe when the engine warms up the metals expand and opens up a small leak that wouldn't be there when it's cold? I had that happen to my 88 lincoln 5.0 and I just replaced the lwoer intake manifold gasket and worked. I'd try putting in a new t-stat and flushing the coolant again.
-Thomas

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i know where the leak is. its leaking very slow under the top tranny line on the radiator. i can see liquid sitting on the little "edges" below the tranny lines on the radiator itself. im going to get that fixed this week hopefully.

are our radiators aluminum?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
good point josh. the guy at the radiator shop said that the o-ring behind the tranny fitting in the radiator has gone bad, hence why its leaking. he will fix it for 33 bucks if i bring him the radiator.

edit: radiator will have to wait, i just blew a HG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts