TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was trying to use a impact driver with about 140 pounds of torque to pull off the alternator pulley and the crank bolt but i was unsuccessful. Any tricks or tips?

·
Banned
754 Posts
it's not hard actually, hold on to the pulley with your hand, and use the impact gun to take the nut off. it seems harder than it really is.

Also, If I remember correctly, the nut is a reverse thread, so you would have to have the gun set to "tighten" I'm not too clear on that though so maybe someone can chime in on that one.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Not sure how much torque it takes, but I bought a cheap-o impact gun with a supposed rated torque of 250 ft/lbs a while back and it did nothing. A few weeks back I got a used MAC gun off a user here and it took it off no sweat, no holding the pulley required. And the nut is not reverse threaded.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Not sure how much torque it takes, but I bought a cheap-o impact gun with a supposed rated torque of 250 ft/lbs a while back and it did nothing. A few weeks back I got a used MAC gun off a user here and it took it off no sweat, no holding the pulley required. And the nut is not reverse threaded.
thanks, couldn't remember if it was reverse.

I had the alternator off the engine, so I had to hold the pulley..... I was scared I thought it would rip my hand off, but i barely had to hold it at all.

having the belt tension on it should be good enough also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh i have a strap wrench it did nothing but slip so im thinkin about buyin a gun w/340 lbs of trq its on sale for 20 bucks think that will take it off?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Probably, as long as it's a good gun that actually provides as much torque as it's advertised as having.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for anyone in the future a 340 lbs wrench will take off the alternator and the crank bolt real quick and the trickflow underdrive pulleys are great no drop in voltage or accesory dimming

1 - 8 of 8 Posts