TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know darrin has the best reputation around but he is also pricey and i like to do research before jumping into something as big as a transmission. so my question is who is actually using a performance built transmission and what do you think of it. please indicate how long you have been using also. ie miles or years.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I'm curious to see how many people chime in here. Also wondering why you say he is so pricey? Pricey compared to what a stock aamco rebuild? Lentech and others are considerably more expensive.
Alan

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pricey compared to me buying a low mileage one thats all. dont get me wrong im not saying he is expensive for what he offers. pricey is just a comparison to a low mileage unit and well a really nicely built one lol. trust me i know his is way better quality and will last longer. speaking of which im gonna need a converter within a month. your next on the list. and no your not pricey lol since i bought a pi converter and that was the biggest waste of money lol. anyways not trying to insult you or darrin. just want to hear from someone who uses his transmissions thats all.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yeah, I asked him in PM if I can have a little fun.

So here goes.

To be VERY clear here, I will be poking fun so don't take it personally. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

But as previously asked, pricey as compared to whom in the performance transmission industry?

Lentech perhaps?
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodpricing.html

No. Thats not it.

Maybe Performance Automatic.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

No, that one only handles 450hp. And don't let them fool anyone, that's flywheel horsepower. And, it still costs more to boot.

Oh yeah, maybe Level 10.
http://www.levelten.com/store/ford/p...coln_95_up.htm

Oh heavens no. That's only their level 1!!!

Hey, what about Art Carr?
Oh wait, that's been done and you will find a long and interesting history if you search this site. Let's not go there.

TCI?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=434020

Nope.

IPT?
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/fordautorwd.shtml

hmm... Who the heck is IPT anyway? Import what?? For a Ford???But no regardless.

Oh yeah, there is this place
http://www.ford-aode.com/#Level 1

That much for a stock transmission huh?

Maybe...
http://www.avengertransmissions.com/Pricing.html

BINGO!

And this must be important because it is on every single page...
"For Spanish & Portuguese ask for Ricardo"

You might also find something less expensive on ebay, but those are mostly stock or use inferior parts. No matter what they say. Alto frictions=bad.

And you might get a less expensive quote from some local transmission shops. But do the research and see who has actually gotten out the door for the quoted price. "Sorry sir, but we found out that we had to replace your keneuter valve and you wouldn't believe how hard those are to find. That will be $2850 please, we gladly accept both arms, legs and firstborns"

No offense at all meant, but I am actually not pricey if you compare apples to apples.

This was fun.

Remember, Spanish, Portugese and all other foreign languages aside, just ask for Darrin and I can help you.

And last on the "no offense" list here, no offense to our friends that speak languages other than English either. It's just that if you call me and use anything other than English I won't be able to understand you.

Again, this is all in fun. Do an honest comparison and you will see what I am saying.

Darrin

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
But honestly, here are just a few of my customers.

Firescout211
cougar_ricer
Marl
funktasticlucky
marvintpa
greenbird
nvmbird
whitecoug
INDY
96SOHC

And let us never forget Leland Jacobson :ssalute: RIP buddy.

There were also collaborative efforts on things like Maddmartigan's ride and the J.Miller car. Sort of...

There are definitely more but I am getting too old to remember who is who on screen name basis. LOL

Darrin

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
That's great Darrin! I love what you put in Post #5! ROFLMAO

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thats funny. ok ill order tomorrow lol. thanks for the convincing lol not that i needed it. you should post more often since thats some of the funniest things ive read in awhile. justin h ill pm you the price if you want but i dont think darrin wants it advertised as they may be subject to change. if thats not the case he will post the price.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If I were to build my car all over again, the built auto and high stall torque converter are the only things I wouldn't change. I've got a similar transmission from Alan, and can't seem to figgure out why anyone would drive one of these cars without it ;)

Do ittt~!

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I swapped my brothers tranny in his 97 last weekend with a 35K junkyard trans. It was $430 with tax. I also installed one of Robert P's Jmodded valve bodies $164. I Called a reputable trans shop here in Vegas who has done a couple of trannys for me, and people i know. They do good work. They wanted minimum 900 to rebuild my brothers old one. That price was for a bench rebuild( i take tranny out of car, and reinstall). Some of you may have seen the pics of the inside of the trans i took out. It looked really bad. I'm sure it needed a canuter valve AND a camshaw rinkback. So the quoted $900 would clearly been a myth if i had went that route.
For my brothers stock daily driver, a used tranny with a Jmod is plenty right now. As well he really didnt have any more money to spend than we did. As well I think Darrins artistry would have gone to waste in this instance.

That said I'm building my 94 currently, and when tranny time arrives I'm going straight to Darrin. Over the last couple of years here i've messaged him about his tranny builds, and sent some dumb newbie questions and all that. He's been super helpful. Without question the Value of what he sells in his tranny packages all done and ready to go is really exceptional. Not to mention that he understands our tbirds, Jerry's Thesis, what works and what dosent.
I cant imagine what would happen if i rolled into the trans shop i mentiond above with Jerry's Thesis and said "build me this trans". The thought of the potential price tag from them makes me shudder, and i even like that shop.
No doubt that it pays to do your homework and shop around. However it really isnt often you get the best product for the best price these days.
Thats my .02..

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
<-------satisfied customer

and if i just had him build one in the first place i would have saved the $1500 i wasted on a rebuild. live and learn.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been reading posts about Darrin (and Alan) for years, and I have yet to find anything that would tell me either one of them is doing anything but great things in the drive train arena, and at a bargain price, to boot.

You're barely an hour south of Lonnie, and BOC sells transmissions and converters. Not sure who's doing Lonnie's rebuilds, but he's got a spotless rep, as far as I'm concerned. I've never bought anything from him (yet), but he's always answered any questions I asked him quite thoroughly. Unless you're an install-savvy guy, I'd look at having him do the whole deal. His experience and background give him a lot of credibilty in my book. His carry-out prices look good to me, too.

The options were fewer when I bought my rebuild from someone else four years ago, and I had a few problems. Some of the problems I had would have been non-problems if I'd had it installed by the same person I bought it from, I think. PM me if you want details, but suffice to say things were made right in the end, more or less. 60,000 miles in four years on the rebuild, and I don't baby it a bit.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well im actually in la right now thats just were my parents live because i have no real address since im a constantly moving military guy. i have done more tranny installs then i care to remember so not worried about that. im ordering the tranny today so ill let you all know how great it is.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Oh yeah, How could I for get Lonnie.
I built and installed the transmissions in both his Mark VIII and his Town car.

Well... He did help a little. LOL

Darrin

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am happy as a lark (that's pretty damned happy) with Darrin's work. And it's like his post said. He's not pricey if you compare apples to apples. Plus he's about 40 miles from where I live.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
um darrin if you built lonnies transmissions for him who builds the ones he sells to his customers. curios on that one.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Remember, Spanish, Portugese and all other foreign languages aside, just ask for Darrin and I can help you.

And last on the "no offense" list here, no offense to our friends that speak languages other than English either. It's just that if you call me and use anything other than English I won't be able to understand you.
Oye Darrin, mira, Estoy buscando una transmisión para mi noventa-seis thunderbird. Tengo el motor 4.6, y el problema es que ya me han cambiado la transmisión una vez anterior cuando tenia un '95. Cuanto me costaria una transmisión contigo. Solamente para uso normal, nada lujoso. Gracias!

:zbeer:

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
so my question is who is actually using a performance built transmission and what do you think of it. please indicate how long you have been using also. ie miles or years.

well, i have a trans that alan did, for the most part same as what darrin would do. i havent really had any chance to do anything with it because of a small issue in the tune that needs to be fixed first. and its just something i havent gotten to yet. ive been around here before darrin, before alan and ive seen their work on numerous ocassions and can say with 100% confidence you will not be unhappy with your decision.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts