TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up working on my stereo a while ago and somehow pulled out a thin yellow vacuum hose from behind the dash, now my dash vents are no longer working and I can only get my A/C to come through the defroster and floor vents. This is no good becuase now whenever I run the air it blows every direction but on me, and fogs up the windshield.

This is what I am talking about...

I have pulled most of the dash several times and for the life of me I can not find where this plugs into. Does anyone have any tips or diagrams or anything so I can get my vents back without having to pull the ENTIRE dash. This has been frustrating especially since its the summer lol

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah, I traced the rest of the hose and it looks like the other end goes into the control unit, but now I have no idea where this end goes. Its really hard to get a good look back there...

·
Banned
754 Posts
get a dentist mirror, or a slightly larger version of a dentist mirror. Maybe even a digital camera could snap a pic of whats back there.
I've used the camera trick on some tricky spots before.

·
Registered
238 Posts
camera is a good idea! I'm thinking you will almost have to look in a different car to find it or
have a EVTM for the 96 Bird.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the camera trick i what its gonna have to come down to, even in another car I think it would be impossible to see where its going. This little wire has been the biggest PITA ever lol, its always the little things...literally

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that is the vac line that goes to the blend door. Your best chance to get any glimpse is to maybe pull the glove box off or all the black plastic panels that hold the center stack.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah pulled all of them, still with no luck. I have had every removable panel out of the dash multiple times looking for where this could possibly go. I shoulda never put that new radio in :bangwall:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That vacuum line you pulled loose goes to the vacuum motor that controls where the airflow comes out, i.e. the defroster vents, the intrument panel registers or the floor ducts. That motor is located behind the instrument panel (it's attached to it and comes out with the dash when you remove the dash from the car) on the left side (driver's-side) of the big square opening (airflow inlet) that mates up to the air-flow outlet on the evaporator case.

I'm not sure how in the world you pulled it loose installing a stereo, because I just installed a Kenwood car stereo in my 1997 T-Bird last week and never touched that line (except to pull the connector loose where it plugs into the climate-control panel).

I discovered exactly what that line was when I was looking at the pictures I took of the back-side of my instrument panel when I removed it to replace my heater core.

If you want, send me a PM with an e-mail address that I can send the picture to you at.

Good luck!

Dennis

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it was no ordinary stereo install....I was running a Sirius antenna wire behind the dash and back to the rear of the car. When I pulled the wire out of the other side of the dash, out came the yellow one with it lol

I will PM you....

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks chris, I have had the dash panels out for a while so i can continue tinkering with it while im bored, I will give this a shot and hope for the best

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you must have little hands or maybe I am missing something cause i tried for about an hour and came up with nothing lol

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well good news, I fixed it.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
What was the problem that caused it Al ? For future reference if any of us have the same problem in the future

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was the problem that caused it Al ? For future reference if any of us have the same problem in the future
The yellow vacuum hose pictured in the original post came unconnected while I was routing wires for my Sirius radio. For the longest time I could not figure out where the hose was going. But today I found the vacuum motor, which is directly behind the defroster switch, a little to the right, behind the dash. I somehow maneuvered my hand up there and re-attached it.

Now I have A/C :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts