TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Sigh.*

Made the mistake of looking on Sean Hyland's website. Initially to see how much hock I'd have to get in to get a stroked 4.6 ready for turbos. And then a video opened up in quicktime. Some late model Stangs running hell bent for leather around a road-course. Anyway, I'm watching the video ( here: http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/Sequential_trans_vid.mov) and the guy is upshifting and downshifting, but he's not moving the the shifter through the pattern and there's no lifting off of the throttle. So I'm like "Oh ****, that's a sequential trans!" And damn it if it weren't the case. Sean Hyland's selling six speed sequential gear boxes! Here's the link: http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=103_101_43&products_id=1902
Now mind you, spending 13 Large on a transmission isn't the most rational thing to do, but I say rational and me parted ways back when I spent 10+ beans in motor and trans to get an 83 Mercury Zephyr into the 12's.
So here's the question; Just how hard would it be to put one of these babies in a bird? I'm thinking it couldn't be any harder than a t-56, but I could be way off base in that assumption. What do you folks think?

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
Probably be about the same difficulty as a T45 swap. If you are willing to spend $13K on a trans for a $3K car, then I don't think you would have any problem paying the extra $2K it could cost to get it in there. With that being said, your $13-15K would be WAY better spent on a supercharged PI motor, T45 swap, and suspension and driveline mods, and you would probably still have money left over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With that being said, your $13-15K would be WAY better spent on a supercharged PI motor, T45 swap, and suspension and driveline mods, and you would probably still have money left over.
It would indeed. But this is pie in the sky daydreaming (as noted in the subject line) I'd have to hit the numbers to do something as mental as drop 13 large into a transmission. But the funny thing is if you did and then put 10 into the motor you'd still be out probably 15-20K less than a Cobra with all of the trimmings. Problem is the lack of a decent heavy-duty coil-over solution for the track. The suspension (especially the front, even with all the after-market chassis bracing and poly bushings available isn't up to the task of hurtling a 2 ton car around a track at speed constantly. I'll eventually go with something along what you mentioned; I'm doing the PI swap this winter, but I'll probably stick with the slushbox, as I'm intending on going with turbos one fine day in the future. Until then I can think irrationally though. D

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,317 Posts
Its definitly cool! I'm daydreaming now too :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you can find one the Aston Martin Vantage V12 had a sequential-shift T56. Putting a T56 in a Bird has been done a few times, so that part wouldn't be to much trouble, finding an Aston Martin transmission might be.....

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
It would indeed. But this is pie in the sky daydreaming (as noted in the subject line) I'd have to hit the numbers to do something as mental as drop 13 large into a transmission. But the funny thing is if you did and then put 10 into the motor you'd still be out probably 15-20K less than a Cobra with all of the trimmings. Problem is the lack of a decent heavy-duty coil-over solution for the track. The suspension (especially the front, even with all the after-market chassis bracing and poly bushings available isn't up to the task of hurtling a 2 ton car around a track at speed constantly. I'll eventually go with something along what you mentioned; I'm doing the PI swap this winter, but I'll probably stick with the slushbox, as I'm intending on going with turbos one fine day in the future. Until then I can think irrationally though. D
I don't know what you are thinking, but the suspension in our cars is vastly superior to anything ever offered on any mustang. They come stock with coil-overs, and a SLA design at all 4 corners, which has better geometry than the mustang's strut front/solid rear axle design, meaning our tires have better contact with the road when going around the same turn at the same speed. That translates to better traction, more grip, and a more predictable car. The only advantage a mustang has over us is less weight, but that isn't too difficult to overcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting a T56 in a Bird has been done a few times, so that part wouldn't be to much trouble, finding an Aston Martin transmission might be.....
LOL! That, may very well be the understatement of the decade! But with the way these fools are buying and wrecking exotics (http://www.wreckedexotics.com/) it may be easier than we think to find an Aston Martin trans!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what you are thinking, but the suspension in our cars is vastly superior to anything ever offered on any mustang. They come stock with coil-overs, and a SLA design at all 4 corners, which has better geometry than the mustang's strut front/solid rear axle design, meaning our tires have better contact with the road when going around the same turn at the same speed. That translates to better traction, more grip, and a more predictable car. The only advantage a mustang has over us is less weight, but that isn't too difficult to overcome.
From the factory, I would agree. But as you can see here with the IRS (http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html) Ford (as many of their cars as I own have own) is notorious for often making cars with a "this will do" attitude. I have friends who have turned birds into road course racers only to switch to mustangs (or if their money was right, to corvettes, vipers and M3s) after a few seasons because of the cost of replacing suspension parts on these MN12's multiple times in a season becomes prohibitive. The aftermarket for Mustangs is an order of magnitude greater than it ever was for MN12's. Suspension components specifically designed for the rigors of road courses have been available for years for Mustangs. It was never widely available for MN12's outside of independent fabrication projects. So while yes, I'll agree that from the factory a MN12 has a more sophisticated and efficient suspension design than a Mustang when used in a traditional passenger car role, I would have to disagree that (when taken in a racing context) weight is a Mustang's only advantage when compared to our birds. Not that I'll be buying a new mustang anytime soon. I'm not a fan of spending 30,40, or 50 grand on something that does nothing but hemorrhage resale value (I say that about all automobiles). And If I were in the mood to spend $50,000 that will never improve my investment portfolio I'd spend 15 more and get an M3 convertible. Hell, and if I'm gonna get in hock for 65 large I may just hit another bank and get a 911 convertible. Mind you, this is my 2 pence on the whole thing, so all standard disclaimers do apply.

Cheers
D

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I assume that a sequential gearbox is something like a motorcycle trans?
(no H pattern, 1 up and the rest down)

Just buy a B/M ratchet shifter and a manual valve-body trans.
I'm not saying you shouldn't experiment, but I cant see installing a trans that exceeds the sticker price of the car.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Search, yoink, drool...

Glad to see I'm not the only one dreaming of a sequential 6 speed.

I found this site:

I'm afraid to even ask what the price would be...

http://www.xtrac.com/#

If I can find a 6 speed sequential for under $5K It's on like donkey kong...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman

I’ve been looking heavily and as of right now, it’s possible to use the BMW DCT from the M3/4’s. The computers are readily available and only thing that I see being difficult is the adapter to adapt the BMW trans to the 4.6.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Youd probably have to make one. That would have to be the first time an adapter like that would be needed.
How or who would be able to make this? I’ve googled it and some people seem to have the skills to knock it out, I’m obviously not one of them. I have been thinking for a while about this. The same controller for the DCT can also control the 8HP70 from the charger, BMW’s or anything else. From what I’ve read, it’s not quite as fast as the DCT, it’s not much slower either! I think the 2021 m3/4/5 moved over to the 8HP70 because it’s more forgiving in stop and go traffic.

I’m waiting for the 10r80 controller pops out, that with the 4.6 would make for a fun lil engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts