TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on Nascar when will you ever learn that when you make rules you have to stick by them and be consistant. Mike Joy said according to Nascar rule (before we went back to green with 2 to go) we will have 1 attempt for a Green, White, Checkered, if anything happens before those laps are finished the race is over. So Nascar did you make the right call??? Well lets see. They wrecked in turn 4, does the rule say if we wreck in turn 4 we race to the checkered? If we wreck in turn 3 do we race to the checkered or 2 or 1? Well all this don't matter cause they didn't throw the yellow...LOL. Whatever Nascar. Here is the ruleing that should have been made IMO. Wrecking started in 4, caution should have been thrown and whoever was in the lead BACK TO THE LAST SCORING LOOP is how they line up. Now was'nt that easy guys? We will never really (by the rule book) know who won because they didn't follow there own book. Just my .02!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think when the caution comes out is a prudential decision that NASCAR makes. They decided not to throw the caution until after the leaders passed the line, so that there'd be a finish to the end. Really, the caution period was completely unnecessary in those circumstances.

They really should just race back to the flag like they used to, but everything's pansy in NASCAR now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They really should just race back to the flag like they used to, but everything's pansy in NASCAR now.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the pansy stuff for sure. It is pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Either way though, there would be griping, you gotta admit. Neither side is clear-cut.

I was pulling for Mark and I was secretly hoping for a caution...I believe that according to the loops, Mark would've been ahead. He admitted, when he said, "It's the Daytona 500", that it wasn't appropriate for the caution to come out when the wreck was behind them. The only argument I can see (besides consistency in rules enforcement...which is an oxymoron in nascar...see previous pansy remarks) is that there's a lot of money to be fought for for those guys behind the wreck or in the wreck, whether or not to keep the hammer down or respond to a caution.

On a side note, I think Harvick's gonna win the title this year...even before the race. I'm not a fan of his, but I think he's got the goods and patience this year and the equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I was pulling for Mark Martin too, but I would rather see a race end under green, not yellow. There would have been no reason to drop the caution at that point, as the cars would automatically slow after passing the finish line.

I know the rules say otherwise, but NASCAR officials always lean towards green flag finishes.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Best finish to a NASCAR race I've ever seen. That and the "pass in the grass" at the Charlotte Winston years ago.

I was rooting for Martin, even if he was in a Chevy. Though that would have been a bad precident; spend decades driving a Ford and the one time he drives a Chevy, he wins.

It think that's one of the better decisions NASCAR has made recently, letting them race to the finish.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Let's not forget that the whole idea behind the "green-white-checkered" rule is to finish races under green, as opposed to under caution. NASCAR did the right thing here in letting the leaders race to the line before waving the caution flag, IMO.

Mike

·
8,239 Posts
The wreck happened behind the leaders, so throwing a caution wouldn't have made sense.

I'm glad they let the guys run it to the finish, that was the right call.

Martin got loose a little bit coming into the last turn, thats what made harvick seem like he pulled on him like a freight train.

Mark martin is a classy driver, I would have prefered him to win, but the right call was made.

That new harvick shell car looks sharp.

Stewart was saying he looked like the mcdonalds car, but I think stewart finished last, so maybe he can't talk so much anymore.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
The wreck happened behind the leaders, so throwing a caution wouldn't have made sense.

I'm glad they let the guys run it to the finish, that was the right call.

Martin got loose a little bit coming into the last turn, thats what made harvick seem like he pulled on him like a freight train.

Mark martin is a classy driver, I would have prefered him to win, but the right call was made.

That new harvick shell car looks sharp.

Stewart was saying he looked like the mcdonalds car, but I think stewart finished last, so maybe he can't talk so much anymore.
I really wanted Martin to win...i think Harvick either had to win or Richard Childress would have de-ball'd him.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I'm just glad Toyota finished 23rd.

They really should just race back to the flag like they used to, but everything's pansy in NASCAR now.
When the hell did they stop doing that? No wonder I can't watch it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
They had a close call a few years ago that almost ended with tragic results - i.e. -cars racing to the start-finish line that almost drove at full speed into wrecked cars that were stopped on the track - so they changed the rule.

Don't remember the exact details, but I'm sure someone here does.

EDIT:

I found a link to an article talking about this - but I still remember a close call just before the rule was changed:

http://nascar.about.com/cs/latestnews/a/03race2yellow.htm

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They had a close call a few years ago that almost ended with tragic results - i.e. -cars racing to the start-finish line that almost drove at full speed into wrecked cars that were stopped on the track - so they changed the rule.

Don't remember the exact details, but I'm sure someone here does.

EDIT:

I found a link to an article talking about this - but I still remember a close call just before the rule was changed:

http://nascar.about.com/cs/latestnews/a/03race2yellow.htm

It was at New Hampshire, Dale Jarrett was sitting in the middle of the track with cars racing back to the line and he was in danger, thats when they changed the rule. Hmmm..now the year? I would say 2002 or 3.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
[It was at New Hampshire, Dale Jarrett was sitting in the middle of the track with cars racing back to the line and he was in danger, thats when they changed the rule. Hmmm..now the year? I would say 2002 or 3.

..........That sounds about right .............

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Yeah, DJ was wrecked in the middle of the front stretch. Bill Elliott was leading and he slowed because DJ was there. Some of the other racers (the cheater, Michael Waltrip) complained that Bill was allowed to keep his leader spot even though he was passed by a few cars trying to get back to the stripe....with DJ there before the stripe. It used to be a 'gentleman's agreement' but it was no long agreed upon...

Nascar did the right thing in making it a rule cuz a lot of the racer's were taking advantage of the true gentlemen racers, making it not really an agreement anymore.

Oh, and "the pass in the grass" wasn't really a pass. It was an aggressive defensive blocking move by Dale to hold off Bill Elliott at Charlotte. Bill was coming and Dale blocked. In the move, Dale slipped and just happened to go into the grass. He kept the pedal down and went on to win dramatically. What made it so popular was it was the only time that Elliott ever really lost his cool with a fellow competitor. That move was also the same move (a block) that ended up in his death at Daytona in '01. He tried to block Sterling Marlin, who would've passed him for third place behind Cheater and Dale, Jr.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

I think stewart finished last, so maybe he can't talk so much anymore.
I agree about Mark getting loose, cuz that he did. They contradicted themselves on the rules though!! I would have loved to seen Mark win his first of 23 Daytona 500s. Even though they were ahead of the wreck, the yellow should have been thrown, because from what I saw at the point they started spinning out, Mark was ahead.

AS FOR THE 2ND COMMENT!!! LOL......... It DOES look like a Ronald McDonald Clown car, all red and yellow. And Tony was in the lead when he was taken out of the race by Kurt Busch. If he would have slowed down, instead of speeding up, when Tony got loose, he wouldn't have hit Tony to begin with. But he was a good sport and apologized for it, and Tony wasn't mad about it, He was actually in good spirits.

Being that he is a 2 time Champ, I think he has plenty of room to talk:D

GO TONY!!!! WOOO HOOO

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
And Tony was in the lead when he was taken out of the race by Kurt Busch. If he would have slowed down, instead of speeding up, when Tony got loose, he wouldn't have hit Tony to begin with. But he was a good sport and apologized for it, and Tony wasn't mad about it, He was actually in good spirits.
Let me get this straight. When a driver puts the left sides on the apron(something which is well known for getting cars loose enough to wreck them at Daytona), then gets loose in front of another car, gets hit from behind, this is the 2nd car taking them out?

And secondly, Kurt Busch sped up? When you drive Daytona flat footed all the way around to begin with, just how do you speed up?

As for the Mark situation, his only problem is that he is too nice, and races too clean compared to everyone else out there. Anyone else would have been beating and banging with Harvick heading to the finish. Think Busch/Craven at Darlington a few years back.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
And Tony was in the lead when he was taken out of the race by Kurt Busch. If he would have slowed down, instead of speeding up, when Tony got loose, he wouldn't have hit Tony to begin with. But he was a good sport and apologized for it, and Tony wasn't mad about it, He was actually in good spirits.
guess i was watching a different race, i saw tony come down and get into kurt, i blame tony for taking out kurt.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts