TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered a JVC KD-SHX850 H/U.
I noticed that one of the parts included for installation is a dc/dc converter.
Can someone tell me what this is for?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'm not quite sure either. How much you pay for it? I had the JVC KD-LHX500 and the AR5000 and I'm thinking of selling this Clarion and getting another JVC. I like the full color and touch screen, but you can't change folders with the remote, so you have to use the touch screen. Plus, the sound quality is seriously lacking, just like my Kenwood I had. From JVC, Kenwood, and Clarion, I've gotten the best high-volume sound out of JVC. Best controlling capabilities too. When you would turn the Clarion or the Kenwood up, they just distort. The Clarion is rated higher than the JVC too, but it just sounds like crap compared to the JVC. I paid $342 for the Clarion, so maybe get at least that for it, and get a JVC for cheaper. I might even check into the JVC indash DVD player, since I got a friend selling a little screen for $30.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A DC-to-DC converter is a device that accepts a DC input voltage and produces a DC output voltage. Typically the output produced is at a different voltage level than the input. In addition, DC-to-DC converters are used to provide noise isolation, power bus regulation, etc.

Simply put - Cars run off DC your deck may need more/less dc power to operate the deck.

PS... switch to sony It much easey to work with. I not knocking any other brands Its just what I think. Did you know sony has a .2% return rate on defective products Thats not bad for one of the largests companys in the world.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
No way I'd buy more Sony stuff. At least with the stuff they've had out a few years ago (not as much recently), I've heard more people that have had as many problems with Sony as they have with Road Gear.

From my experience, JVC has had better quality than Kenwood and Clarion for decks. Turning up the stereo to high volumes, the voice starts to distort and crackle. I haven't had that problem with JVC, at least on the touchscreen CD-RW/MP3/WMA players I've owned. I expected the same quality with the Clarion, if not better, but I'm highly dissattisfied. This is my 3rd touchscreen deck, and my 6th CD deck I've had on this system, and the JVC were the best. Even with running Clarion components up front. However, the sub signal did sound better. I just prefer to have louder highs when I listen to my AC/DC and Led Zepplin.

·
Registered
664 Posts
ahahhahah sony...

god you guys are hilarious, thanks for making my day..

SONY SUCKS! WORST CAR AUDIO EVER! I'd rather buy Jensen!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts