TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently heard a clink noise from the back of the car while whipping around a turn going about 80mph. Now when i drive i hear a slight wobble noise, and when i let off the gas i hear this hmmmmmmmm noise that sort of sounds like a semi's retarder brakes. but if i give it gas, it goes away. car doesn't shake or anything.

Did i just blow out my differential?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, and how could one tell for bad u-joints, and how hard are they to replace in a driveway

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the only way to replace the U joint is to pull the driveshaft which requires you to drop the gas tank. If someone has a trick to get it out otherwise, I am all ears because I think mine is going too.

I get a secondary "clunk" durning shifts which I am pretty sure is the U-Joint.

I would only use my post to compare condition on and not diagnose with until someone who knows more comes along.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
You can check the rear U joint by unbolting it from the diff. You'll have just enough play to feel it smoothly rotate or have a gritty rough movement. Its nice to check if you really need to start unbolting more things. If the rear is bad then lowering the tank is enough to get it out. Its dropping the exhaust which is a total pain. I think you can also lower the diff and pull the drive shaft out from the rear, I didn't do that but it looked like it works.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i just kept driving the car. And now it's dead. What my roommate thinks is that i blew my spider gears. If i go straight the car drives half decent. If i go slow through a turn, car lurches and shakes and makes loud clunking noises. If i pin it through a turn, it isn't half bad through the turn.

What do you think, and is the spider gear easy to swap out. And if i do, i'll probably get a whole new pumpkin, would a 8" just bolt up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts