·
One And Only!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i am giving my brother my 98 Explorer and now I am looking for new ride

After owning an SUV i deffinetly want to get another one

these are my 2 options that i am looking in my price range

2000-2003 v8, 4x4, loaded (moonroof,leather,etc) aprox 60k miles

If you could share your opinions, experiences with either of em...
Since i already have an Explorer i am leaning towards Jeep

Discuss...

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I like the Jeeps. The 4.0 I6 is a torquey little motor (my brother has a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and I LOVE driving it). Don't know much about the V8's.

Parts could get rather expensive. My dad works for CQ and he always said one of the E's in Jeep was for Expensive and the other was for Empty. You might want to ask litning for some input. He's got an I6 Grand Cherokee and could probably give you some input.

Personally, I like the Jeeps and if I were looking for a SUV, it would be a late-model I6 Cherokee 4 Door. I know how my brother drives (has taken two "accidental" off road trips, took out a good-sized road sign and is still running like a champ) and if he can't kill it, noone can.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If I were you I would stick with ethier a 00 or an 01 explorer V8. With the right care and mods you can get some decent gas milage and I have seen some nice accidents in explorers where people have walked away from where as I have seen some nice accident involving jeeps where they didn't hold up as well. I must also say I know explorers have a history with transmissions ( i know very well first hand) thats why I say go with a V8 as they usually hold up much better.

I believe the explorers came with 5.0's till 01 after that they swaped to the 4.6 both are great motors but I recomend the 00-01 because they have the soild rear end 8.8 and are easy to lift if so disired. I have a pic of a 95 xlt invoved in 70mph roll over where my friends both walked away from take a look, 95-01 were pretty much the same body with only some differences in the rear tail gate and tail lights. BTW it was driver error that caused the roll over no the truck lol
. after seeing my friends walk away from that I will always go for an explorer as far as safety goes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
JEEP stands for Junkiest Equipment Ever Produced, one of the worst vehicles you could ever own, along with any other chrysler product, go for the explorer.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd go with an exploder, even though I hate working on them. I never was a HEEP fan.

My brother walked away with a few bruises and scratches after he wrecked his exploder a month or so ago. He fell asleep and veered off the left side of the road, ramped a driveway, went through a telephone pole, and then rolled it. It landed on the passenger side with the base of the windshield resting against a tree. It had more body damage than the one above, and he was going about 45-50. If I get some pics up, I'll post them.

-Rob

·
Registered
663 Posts
No debate, Jeeps are unreliable and expensive. Unless you're a Realtor, get the Explorer.

I like the models they make, the horspower you can get with the V8, and the interiors. Too bad they break all the time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My DD is a 2000 Wrangler with the 4 banger. I have no complaints after 2 years with it.

If you're looking for a mall crawler, not an offroader, go with the Explorer. The Cherokee definitely rides like a Jeep, IMO.

If you're going offroad, I think the Jeep will be the better choice.

Peter M

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I agree with thewishkah. an 00-01 Explorer. In 02 they got the 4.6 (which is a great motor) but they also got "soft". The IRS, etc. They are like a big station wagon. Even my mom (who hates both trucks and station wagons) decided she wanted a new Mountaineer a couple years ago after riding in some friends and families Mountaineers. The rear end is solid in every definition of the word, the 5.0 is a proven performer, and I just think they look better than the newer ones.

Only Jeep I'd consider is a good ol' fasioned CJ.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
explorer over jeep , jeeps are horrible i have a coworker whi has one and she should of called lemon law on it besides, explorer is an american car where as you cant say that for jeep anymore . explorers dont have many issues. just plan on axle seals and maybee hubs but thats with any of the small suvs as they seem to have a problem with that

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Peter M I wouldn't say that the jeep will perform better offroad then en Explorer. I have been through some nice places with my explorer and up some pretty steep climbs lol just look at my 94 climbing a nice snow mound , keep in mind this is a crapy cell pic and is a little crooked but if the camera was straight and you compare the angle of the truck to the buildings It was a pretty damn decent climb for a mostly stock X on 31x10.5 tires and manual hubs.

they do well on beaches too

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
We have a 97 Jeep Grand for about 60k miles now.. Never replaced anything, still starts(not that great).. Lil 4.0 I6 but it pulls a trailer filled with crap nicely!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a '96 Grand 5.2 that serves as my DD until I get the 'Bird back, I've been driving it since Nov. '05. Only a few bad things about it:
1) The transmissions suck. According to the dealer they have a problem with one seal hardening in the transmission and screwing up the shifts (possibly not worth mentioning if you get a '99+ since you'll be getting the 4.7s which I think are backed up by the 47RE's, not the 42/6RE).
2) The aluminum Dana 44 rear end. This shares almost nothing in common with the regular Dana 44. If I could find one easily and had the tools, I'd swap in an 8.8 out of an Explorer ASAP.
3) Transfer case. The NV249J IIRC; it's the Quadra-Trac 'case. The Quarda-Trac is great but if the Viscous Coupler goes bad that's an easy $800 from the dealer..practically the only place you can get the from. However the WJ's (99+) I believe come with a gear/spring operated VC instead of a clutch operated one like mine but don't quote me on that. The "2nd gen" Quadra-Trac's are better I just don't remember what the internals are.

Now the good. In the just over year that I've had it I've never had one problem out of it (at least that wasn't already there....it was a former rental car) other than the original tensioner going bad (after 150k miles parts tend to go bad). If it weren't for the transmission I'd be knocking down a constant 16mpg, summer or winter. The Quadra-Trac works rather well, especially helps when you hit those nice puddles of standing water when it's raining. I can't say for the 4.7s in the newer Grands but the 5.2 is quite quick; it would easily pace my Supercoupe (stock, 5spd 2.73s) and will out run my dad's '99 Silverado 5.3 (those Vortec's ain't no slouch).

·
Registered
69 Posts
another vote for the sploder ! !
i have a 99 4x4 with 125K and no probs.
i would say its better offroad because it has a frame and stronger rear than jeep.
do a search for articles on swapping explorer 8.8's into jeeps.
xj's (cherokee) are unibody like a tbird.

follow my sig link for pics.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I prefer Exploders as well..

If you get a v6 4.0 sohc beware the intake..... I have to replace the intake gasket once a year and timing chain tensioner on every Ex I have owned.

Next one is going to be a V8..

x2 on the timing chain issues its enough to make me ONLY buy a v8 explorer

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.