TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after a lot of thinking and debating about engine swaps, cobra vs. Mark VIII, 4.2 liter vs. 4.6 litervs vs 5.4 liter, and the ever popular turbo vs. super debate. I decided to start small and work my way up. That being going with some `99 or newer 3.8 mustang heads and intake mainifold. I fell this would be the easiest and least expensive, but it would leave me with an upgrade path with a 4.2 liter short block out of an F-150 later on. With the idea being heads -> beffed up short block -> super charger.

What I would like from you guys is some input about what I might have not thought of. Just to let you know I have read the tech artical at V6 power.net but I feel I might be missing something.

Well here's a price list to get things started:
`99 up Heads $400
`99 up Intake Manifold Upper $75
`99 up Intake Manifold Lower $150
`99 up Throttel Body $50
`99 up Fuel Rail $75
Gaskets $150? (I have no idea were to start with these.)
New Chip $250
hoses etc. $100

total = $1200

A few more quick questions.
How much would it take to get the heads and manifolds P&P? Could I do this my self with the right tools and a good guide? What wlse would be good to do at the same time just becuse I'll have everything off and what not. Time, how long does changing out the heads take, double it and you have how long it will probobly take me :D.

Ohh yea, the 150 hp rating I see for our cars is that at the crank or the rear wheel?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
look at the v6power.net classifieds, there is person selling P n'P 99+ heads and upper and lower intakes for 500$=shipping (like 40$) which IMO is very cheap.

140-150 factory ratings are at the crank, about 115rwhp.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Jemplayer, you don't want a stock '99 fuel rail. Those are built for returnless fuel systems. I would either ask around on v6power.net who sells the modified fuel rails necessary, or I would buy '97+ F-150 4.2 fuel rails, since they have a return line. If you go with the latter, you will need to extend some fuel lines.

PJ

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Also, don't forget about the differences in your ignition system.

PJ

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I knew that I would have to modify the `99 fuel rail, but I didn't know the F150's fuel rail had a return line. Good deal saves me some time.

Hmmm the ignition....
What's involved in going to DIS?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts