Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Ok, new question about exhaust headers.

Plans are coming together for the Explorer motor, a set of Kooks has come to my attention, but hey have 3" collectors, so I assume that they are the large tube variety. So here's the question...

Explorer block, stock pistons, stock rotating assembly, stock to mildly ported heads (if my PI heads are still good), MHS Stage 2 NA cams, degreed, 2.5" exhaust with mid mount dual in/out magnaflow and chambered mufflers at the ends of the pipes. My car has no catalysts on it, it's straight pipe from the manifolds to the mid mount magnaflow.

Would the big tube headers be "too much" for the motor?

Would going from 3" to 2.5" past the collector cause issues? Going to use stepped pipe to make a smooth transition.

I have no plans to go forced induction, so am I better off going with the smaller tube headers, or taking the deal on the big tube/collector headers?

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
The smaller tube headers would probably make marginally more power in the midrange, but the difference is nothing you would ever notice, so if you are getting a good deal on the larger ones, just go ahead and run them.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The smaller tube headers would probably make marginally more power in the midrange, but the difference is nothing you would ever notice, so if you are getting a good deal on the larger ones, just go ahead and run them.
Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Ok, having difficulty getting the rear collector to downpipe nut off on the driver side. All the other 3 were 15mm, but my 15mm socket slips. Anyone know what size that one is? 14 won't go on unless I'm just using too long of one. My 15mm box end wrench doesn't sit well on it, nor can I turn it anyway. Trying to avoid cutting if I can.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
It is a 15mm, My problem is I have a very eclectic collection of sockets. My impact socket was too long, my standard 6 point was too short.

The other big pain in the butt was the motor mount bolts. Fought them for an hour with my mechanic friend, but we finally got it. Have the transmission unbolted, but our wives were calling us in for dinner, so the engine will come out next week.

On the bad news front, coolant in a spark plug well on the 3rd cylinder back on the driver side. No evidence of leaks from the intake manifold, so we'll see what happens when I pull the head.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Coolant in the spark plug well can't possibly come from anywhere else, gotta be the gasket or heater outlet on the intake.
I'll take some pics. Throwing a rod and botching up the head couldn't cause it?

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
No way, the only way for coolant to get into the spark plug well is from the outside of the engine. The piston tends to take the brunt of the damage anyway, the head is very strong.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
No way, the only way for coolant to get into the spark plug well is from the outside of the engine. The piston tends to take the brunt of the damage anyway, the head is very strong.
So what am I looking for on the intake manifold?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Either the gasket or the heater outlet
Heater is on passenger side isn't it? I'm inclined to think the gasket, as I found duct tape residue interfering with the seal on the passenger side gasket (but no water on that side, water is in third cylinder back on driver side).

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Ugh use proper nomenclature lol I saw cylinder 3 I thought you meant cylinder 3! This is cylinder 7 :tongue:
Woodman said:
On the bad news front, coolant in a spark plug well on the 3rd cylinder back on the driver side.
I don't know the firing order off the top of my head yet, sorry. That's why I was specific on which cylinder it was in relation to the motor. :D
I'll take a look at the gasket on that side tonight though when I go to mow my yard.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The cylinders aren't labeled by their firing order. The cylinder numbers are:

Passenger side: 1, 2, 3, 4

Driver side: 5, 6, 7, 8

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
The cylinders aren't labeled by their firing order. The cylinder numbers are:

Passenger side: 1, 2, 3, 4

Driver side: 5, 6, 7, 8
Gotcha. If my conrod broke at TDC, is it possible the high pressure bending the valve could have warped the head enough to screw up the head gasket allowing a coolant leak? Up till loss of oil pressure, had 0 issues with the car, no misfires, etc. Whatever happened happened when I killed the motor. Couldn't see any obvious flaws in the intake manifold or the gasket.

However, I did see this...

Does this mean I have a throttle body spacer already? If so, sweet... One less bolt on to buy.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
This is what a bad valve does, you can see for yourself which fares better

And no, you're still not grasping Occam's razor - The coolant would need to defy gravity and many other obstacles to somehow get into a vertical tube above the cylinder if the head gasket were the source.

And yes that's a placebo...err intake spacer:tongue:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
This is what a bad valve does, you can see for yourself which fares better

And no, you're still not grasping Occam's razor - The coolant would need to defy gravity and many other obstacles to somehow get into a vertical tube above the cylinder if the head gasket were the source.

And yes that's a placebo...err intake spacer:tongue:
All right. Well, I am putting new gaskets on, we have to wait for the autopsy to begin before I find out if I'm re-using my heads or not (just because they're ported) and I know the spacer does next to nothing, but at least I don't have to waste money on it. :)

I'll keep an eye on the intake, and keep the intake for the explorer in case I need to swap. I'm not tolerating any leaks.

121 - 140 of 291 Posts