TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Have you pulled the intake off to inspect the gaskets? The coolant in the spark plug tubes is always the gaskets as coolant flows through the front and rear of the intake manifold per intake / engine design. When I did my PI intake / cams swap, the intake manifold gaskets were completely shot giving me both coolant and oil in the spark plug tubes in all of the passenger side spark plug tubes. If you remember, at the time I was completely green to this engine and parked the car because the leak had gotten down to the spark plug firing pin on cylinder 3 causing a misfire.

This is what a bad valve does, you can see for yourself which fares better

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/cougarman1/explodedexploder001.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/cougarman1/explodedexploder004.jpg

And no, you're still not grasping Occam's razor - The coolant would need to defy gravity and many other obstacles to somehow get into a vertical tube above the cylinder if the head gasket were the source.

And yes that's a placebo...err intake spacer:tongue:
That head and cylinder were in fine working order!!! They didn't need to be pulled

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I have the intake, the gaskets look ok to me, but I don't honestly know. I'll take pictures tonight and let you guys see.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
This is what a bad valve does, you can see for yourself which fares better

And yes that's a placebo...err intake spacer:tongue:
Holey Piston, Matt!

Nice Pix! Was that yours?

I bent one, but it didn't go that far.

Like you said, that spacer is not a worthwhile upgrade.

It increases plenum volume ~1 cu. in., not even a 1% difference. :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
So I have a dilemma,

There's an 02 Mountaineer, 4.6V8 in a yard that will sell me the motor for $400, but they have no keys, can't tell me the mileage because they car was sold to them by a body shop after the cars in his yard got vandalized. The wiring harness is cut, but I could always swap over my harness and do without the Coil on Plug for now.

Is it worth the risk?

The guy with the running one for $300 keeps not getting me a video of it running, and stalls on me picking it up.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Does the $400 come with 30-90day warranty? If so I would go with that.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Does the $400 come with 30-90day warranty? If so I would go with that.
30 day warranty. I figure worst comes to worst, I can swap the oil pan, fill it with oil/coolant and fire it up, see if it runs. IF not, back it goes.

Guy was very honest with me, told me he couldn't get mileage, etc off it, but the shop that he got it from said it was in for body repair, was hit in the rear. No issues with engine that they knew of.

Picking it up this weekend. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
30 day warranty. I figure worst comes to worst, I can swap the oil pan, fill it with oil/coolant and fire it up, see if it runs. IF not, back it goes.

Guy was very honest with me, told me he couldn't get mileage, etc off it, but the shop that he got it from said it was in for body repair, was hit in the rear. No issues with engine that they knew of.

Picking it up this weekend. Wish me luck.

Since I'm getting new cams, and doing timing chains, are they Cloyes ones worth getting from Rock Auto, or should I get the Ford ones?

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Holey Piston, Matt!

Nice Pix! Was that yours?

I bent one, but it didn't go that far.

Like you said, that spacer is not a worthwhile upgrade.

It increases plenum volume ~1 cu. in., not even a 1% difference. :)
That came from the Explorer block I was going to build before the DOHC. The guy we(machusta and I went in on a deal for different parts off it) said it had a miss and a tapping noise :tongue:

Since I'm getting new cams, and doing timing chains, are they Cloyes ones worth getting from Rock Auto, or should I get the Ford ones?
I'd just get the Ford ones, they'll outlast the rest of the motor three times over, I always reuse them personally.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
That came from the Explorer block I was going to build before the DOHC. The guy we(machusta and I went in on a deal for different parts off it) said it had a miss and a tapping noise :tongue:

I'd just get the Ford ones, they'll outlast the rest of the motor three times over, I always reuse them personally.
Didn't see your earlier reply.
So I may not even need to replace the chains?

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
So what makes the Motorcraft timing set worth $400?

That's not even the good sliders, or anything. :surprise:

On my 2V PI motor, I used these:

OEM Ford 4.6L 2V Curved Timing Chain Guides

And these:

OEM Ford 4.6L Plastic Backed Straight Timing Chain Guides

OEM Ford 4.6L Primary Timing Chain Set

TFS-51800505

TFS, baby!

I still do as much business as I can with these guys. :)

RIP, Nick!

EDIT: Crap, MMR has a similar kit for $219.99; but they still aren't the good sliders:

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_5_50&products_id=165

Summit is way overpriced there!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
That's not even the good sliders, or anything. :surprise:

On my 2V PI motor, I used these:

OEM Ford 4.6L 2V Curved Timing Chain Guides

And these:

OEM Ford 4.6L Plastic Backed Straight Timing Chain Guides

OEM Ford 4.6L Primary Timing Chain Set

TFS-51800505

TFS, baby!

I still do as much business as I can with these guys. :)

RIP, Nick!
I am getting the MHS cams, the adjustable crank gears, and the degreeing service from them. Didn't realize they would piece a set together. Should I get new tensioners?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I don't find it necessary, the chains and steel tensioners are proven million mile components. These aren't Hondas :tongue:
Well, that saves me $400

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
There is a 2003 Explorer motor, complete with wiring harness, ac compressor, power steering, hell it even has the cruise servo, currently sitting in my garage.

$300 and half a tank of gas. The yard I got it from fired it up, read the codes and told me the only one it had was for the TPS, which I'm not worried about as I put a brand new motorcraft one on my motor last year.

Got it hooked out of the back of my work van and rolled it into the garage. Headers will ship next week, I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
And I just scored a set of 24lb/hr injectors for $100. Look brand new!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
And the big tube Kooks are on their way too!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm sure all of us feel that way when the most wanted of parts we want are on their way :D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I'm sure all of us feel that way when the most wanted of parts we want are on their way :D
To say I'm excited is beyond understatement.

The hard part is waiting for the ability to pay for the cams so I can start putting it all together!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Can't you start cleaning engine first before you start putting it together? It's something I'd do so that my engine looks as purdy and shiny as possible before it goes into the engine bay. If you do, brake cleaner....and lots of it....will be your best friend :)

141 - 160 of 291 Posts