TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do the defrosters work in cars? I'm thinking that it might be related to my coolant leak. I have a small puddle everyonce and a while, my mechanic thinks it might be my water pump but I dont think so. I know the lights in the car are just idoit lights but when I have defrost on the light comes on and the expansion tank is dry, but if I dont put defrost on I have a lil bit of coolant in the tank. Any ideas??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your AC system dries the air and the fan blows the dry air onto the windshield.

If the overflow tank is dry the low coolant light will come on.

I would say yes, the problem is somewhat related.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Tbird96, where is the puddle, inside or outside the car. If inside, your heater core is shot and needs replacing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not the heater core because I dont smell a sweet smell inside the car...I dont know where its leaking from exactly but when i get some money Im going to have my mechanic do a pressure test on the system. any ideas of where to really look if its related to the defroster??

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
The entire cooling system is related to the defroster functioning correctly. Coolant flows through the engine before going through the heater core (which provides the heat for the defrost).

Once again, is the puddle of coolant outside of the car (on the ground) or inside the car (on the passenger side floor)? Even if it is leaking onto the ground, it could very well be the heater core.

-Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts