TCCoA Forums banner

delayed shift into 2nd

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  qwikcat97 
#1 ·
Alright trans guru's I tried searching and didn't really see this before. On my 97 when I first take off the trans does not want to shift to second gear I can go an entire city block before it shifts. Once it finally shifts into second its fine after that. This started last year, and now my speedo and odometer quit working. I do have another clunk noise when I take off and right before I stop but I believe that's in the u joints any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Most likely problem:

Jerry W. said:
1-2 Accumulator (see TSB# 97-11-11)
I don’t think I need to say too much on this since there is a lot of good information out there already. But…
Symptom?
A very late 1-2 shift or no 1-2 shift. A shudder on the 1-2 shift.
What Models?
All AODEs and 4R70Ws built until the start of the 1998 model year.
Problem?
All have a cast aluminum 1-2 accumulator with rubber O-rings to seal it. With time, the rubber wears away and creates a leak.
Solution?
Replace with the new molded rubber piece with new springs. Don’t worry about case scuffing, just buff the case with a Scotch-Brite pad and put in the new accumulator.

#4 · (Edited)
Either way, if the trans hasn't been opened up before it'd be a good time to a) drop the pan, clean the magnet, change the fluid and filter, b) replace the accumulator pistons and (possibly) broken springs with the updated design units, and c) revise the separator plate to Jerry's specifications (this can be done without making the shifts sharp and neck snapping :D). Chances are high that this is where the problem lies; doing all this is a 4 hour and $150 job in a driveway (with all parts, gaskets, and fluid) - the only other alternatives include shift solenoid or MLPS issues... or failing trans internals (rebuild + $$$$).

For normal driving, 1st gear is simply the forward clutch's application. A normal 1-2 shift then is the intermediate clutch's application (which involves the filling of the 1-2 accumulator reservoir) in addition to the forward clutch's application (already on).

If you shift from manual 1 (which is the forward clutch AND reverse band) to manual 2 (which is the addition of the OD band). This will allow you to bypass the 1-2 accumulator and intermediate clutch.

#6 ·
Don't rule anything out until you've dropped the pan and had a look to be sure it's NOT one of the all-too-common problems previously talked about... ;)

#9 ·
I doubt it's the MLPS since the next nearest position to D is 2, and since you're having issues with the 1-2....

It COULD be a sticky 1-2 shift solenoid, but since the problem with the 1-2 accumulator is much more widespread, I'd start there. You can drop the pan, recover the fluid and reuse the original trans filter in a pinch if all you want to do is replace the accumulator and retainer (about $20 in parts); all you need is a good set of snap ring pliers and a big C clamp.

#10 ·
The fluid is fairly new I had the shift kit done about 8000 miles ago, is the 1-2 solenoid located above the valve body? If its something that's there I mine as well do it while I'm in there. None of that would cause the speedo to quit working though so could that be a separate issue. I know the speedo was goofed up from when I did the gauge faces.

#12 ·
What shift kit?

The shift solenoids are mounted to the valve body; it doesn't need to be dropped for access (only the pan and filter).

If the car is shifting more or less normally and there are no codes then the PCM is getting the VSS signal and the issue is with the signal/electronics to/in the gauge itself.

#14 ·
Okay - as long as you are certain the new style accumulators went in then we can focus on electronics... where I'd probably start by ohming out the shift solenoids while jiggling the connections in/on the trans. Any jumps indicate a connection is at fault.

#16 ·
Past few times I drove it there was no issue. Right now I can't open up the trans in the street and leave it there so it went to a trans shop and there going to run some tests with it Monday morning. I informed them of what we were talking about they said they will look in to it. Thank you for all your help and I'll let you know if they find anything.

#17 ·
OK so trans shop had the car replaced the range selector and rewires it. Problem is still there but I was corrwcted. The problem is that the car is taking off in second gear not first. Even manually shifting the car thinks its in 2nd when its on 1 and drive when its in second.trans guy thinks its the pcm

#18 ·
Stuck in second no matter what manual gear is selected is a sign of an electrical problem. My guess is that the OD light also flashes. Get the code scanned, most often there is either a frayed wire in the transmission external harness or fluid leaking into the electrical connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.