TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and installed a chip from Dennis Reinhart in my 1995 3.8 NA former grocery getter. With no other mods besides a K&N cold air intake, there is a noticable increase in HP especially midrange to the top end (which is where the stock 3.8 is lacking). Shifts are firmer. All in all an excellent and easy mod that I highly recommend to all you 3.8 guys out there. I do not have HP numbers, but I can now keep up with a 4.6 stock T-bird to about 55 MPH, where as before I had no chance.

As a side note, before the mods, my 5 speed 2000 Nissan Sentra XE (which is quicker than any Honda Civic) could catch up to my T-bird in the 1/4 mile. Now the tables have turned; the t-bird takes the Nissan off the line and walks away. No more speed limiter either.

Thanks Dennis!

You can find Dennis here:
WWW.ReinhartAutomotive.Com
904-276-5003

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dude, howmuch did you payed for your chip???? And what did you asked for to put in the chip?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$250

I asked for firmer shifts, more HP - that's it. You need to tell him what mods you've done. Mine has a cold air intake and I asked that he compensate for a future mild cam I plan to install. Only other mods are 180 stat and colder spark plugs. On my car there's not much difference off the line, but it really hits around 2,500 - 4,000 RPM.

Also, I should say that I did install this the same week as the K&N cold air intake - which helped alot by itself especially at part throttle, but the chip enables you to take advantage of the increased air flow - especially at WOT.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Unless you've done something about your stock driveshaft, I wouldn't recommend testing out that removed speed limiter. I'm not suer about the 3.8s, but I know the stock driveshaft in my 1995 LX V8 will tear itself apart if I tried to run much faster than 120mph...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too late

I made it to 120 when the vibrations associated with my cheap Pep Boys tires put the fear of god into me.

I read the posts about the driveshaft on a different thread, and you a right. I wouldn't recommend that anyone travel that fast in any family car anyhow without some serious mods. All of the following were never designed to operate above 75 MPH on a T-bird: Brakes, tires, rims, halfshafts, driveshafts, transmission, torque converter. I was just testing all aspects of the chip, for novelty purposes only :D I won't make a habbit of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts