TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an honest, no BS -- is the stuff Dennis makes the best for the buck. Why I ask is I'm about to make a big financial decision and it directly involves my bird. I will need a trans ASAP and from what it seems, he's the [email protected]#$ when it comes to ...well, everything. So lay it on me, tell me how good his stuff is (I want reassurance that the near 3000 bucks I'll drop will be completely worth it)

Thanks

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
$3000 bucks??

I purchased my tranny (4r70w w/shift kit installed) (said to handle up to 400hp no prob) from Bauman Engineering for about the same price i was informed that Denis sells them for..

But tranny + ds from dennis is around the ballpark of $2000?+core

I paid about the same, but got a Bauman TCS box too (no ds).. I paid no core.

I have had no problems with the tranny or the computer (only got 4K miles on it-getting ready to put 300+hp motor in front of it).. i like it alot, and when i call them they seem to be on the ball.. I havn't delt w/dennis. But have heard he does sell good stuff and knows alot.

I due know one thing.. I stock tranny is weak in the knees due to the softness of the shifts.. I know this cause I smoked a Good C4 in a month.. had a rebuild w/shift kit and it was Rock Solid.. Still have it in garage. Any Tranny is better with just a shift kit as it lowers the friction ware? (*spelled right?*) on the clutches.

What are you planny to be doing with the tranny??

Everyday Granny Driver?
Reckless Everyday Driver?
Mild Street/Strip?
HARD CORE STRIP ?

What engine? Lots of Power?

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my goal is 500hp, PROBABLY will end up with a DOHC engine, and it is going to be my street car eventually (right now, day driver)

why I said 3k is I'm probably gonna have him do a chip for me, maybe some springs it all depends on a lot.

plus I'm going to drive down and have them do the install

·
1,614 Posts
since your going there and he is gonna do all the work. go for it.. This way he can tune it there too..

I do all my own work (tuning/so forth) .

if you don't have the motor yet.. MAKE sure you let him know your gonna be getting one, and make sure you go back and have him tune it up for the new motor..

·
8,239 Posts
hmm, that is too rich for my blood. I would just purchase a 99 4r70w, and drill the seperator plate, and go from there. That is about 800-1000 bucks.

Justin

·
1,614 Posts
hehe.. JustinH.. Yeah.. If i knew, what i know now about the j-mod, i would of done that too.. just would of gone ford (or someone else) and buy a new 99+tranny, and drill the plate ;o) but.. ya know what? I needed the box to control it, and he had the tranny so he gave me a good deal ;o)

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, and my current trans is slipping ....BAD

·
1,614 Posts
did you try a replacing the fluid?

·
8,239 Posts
fubs,
I can't remember your first name for the life of me, but I met you this year over at eric's house.

Anyway, if you need a trans, just check out www.car-part.com and get a 99 spec trans, and do the basic mod to it. Should be well under 1000 bucks.

later,
Justin

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeeeeep. Did the full trans flush ...no help. 115k miles on it too

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JustinH said:
fubs,
I can't remember your first name for the life of me, but I met you this year over at eric's house.

Anyway, if you need a trans, just check out www.car-part.com and get a 99 spec trans, and do the basic mod to it. Should be well under 1000 bucks.

later,
Justin
but how much HP will that handle?? Will I have to switch again? (why drop 1k for a trans I'll have to replace is what I'm gettin at)

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I did find 3 or 4 fairly local and around 750-850 bucks.

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
1,614 Posts
there is a local *already pulled* junk yard here that wanted $400.. But he couldn't Gaureentee the year or condition.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what year should I look for and/or whats the adv of a 99 4r over a 98 4r?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts