TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I installed my Dennis chip just a sec ago... took it out for a spin... I know its working cause the shifts and all that are higher and there is more power. But when I was crusing along at around 50-60 mph... it would all of a sudden down shift, then the check engine light would flash on then go off... then it would shift back to normal... is this part of the re-learning for my EEC??? Or do i got a bad chip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Clean your MAF dude.. common problem w/ our MN12s. And then after that may take a look at your battery terminals.. They tend to get corroded on occasion causing engine "reflex", clean them as well. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, there's this sensor on our cars called the "Mass Air Flow Sensor". It goes bad after around 100,000 miles on most occasions. I'd check it out Brett. And while your at it.. change your oil.. and then tranny fluid. Oh and after all of that take some rubbing alchohol.. and lightly scrub the wires on the uh.. mass air flow sensor.. my 2 cents..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Children behave and birdricer, just letting you know signatures are limited to ten lines around here.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
It might be easier if you just took the chip back out, reset the computer, and see if the problem is still there.

It does not sound like a normal 'learning process' with the CEL coming on.

I had no such problems with my Dennis chip.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be from a bad connection with the EEC? I scrubbed off the silicon... but on the Tech Article it did say something about "If it gave any problems to sand off the silver until some copper shows to make sure its a good read.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
That is a possibility, and I can almost gaurantee you that Dennis will tell you to take the chip back out, and re-check the contact area.

That is why I suggested you take it back out and see if the problem is still there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so take it out and sand it more eh? i should see copper on there right? no silver on connector? or does that matter?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I would take the chip out, reset computer, and see if problem is still there. If it is, it isn't the chip.

If the problem is not still there, then try cleaning the contacts some more, but don't get too carried away. If problem still persists, just give Dennis a call.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm having a similiar problem with my chip I got from Dennis. For two weeks it was in the car with little problem. The only thing it did is, one day while cruising, the engine sputtered and rpms jumped 500rpm, and then they went back down. Last week I was crusing again, and the the engine did a similiar thing. It abruptly jumped 1000rpm, but never lowered. I gave it gas, but it just lost speed like it was in neutral. The check engine light came on. I turned off the car, back on, and it was fine. Fine for 5 minutes, and then the same thing happened. this happened about 4 times before I yanked the chip out. From inspection, it is possible that the connection isn't complete, but I haven't checked it yet. I don't know why it started acting up 2 weeks after I installed it though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I yanked it out and disconnected my battery last night. I got up this morning and reconnected the chip and battery. I let it idle for like 10-12 minutes. The idle did fluctuate like it said it would to find the correct idle. Im getting ready to go for a drive. Oh i also sanded some more of the silver layer away to see if its a possible bad read. If it does it again ill try sanding it once more, if that dont do it... I'll give Dennis a call.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cougar_ricer said:
I yanked it out and disconnected my battery last night. I got up this morning and reconnected the chip and battery. I let it idle for like 10-12 minutes. The idle did fluctuate like it said it would to find the correct idle. Im getting ready to go for a drive. Oh i also sanded some more of the silver layer away to see if its a possible bad read. If it does it again ill try sanding it once more, if that dont do it... I'll give Dennis a call.
Any updates on your possible chip contact problem?

I am having similar problems and I also wonder if I should pull chip out and sand off the silver on the eec contacts.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you guys definitely gotta get rid of all the silver on the contacts...use a very high grit sandpaper to avoid accidentally deep-gouging the contacts.....just sand away until they look like the color of a brand new penny......if it still doesnt work, then you will have to troubleshoot other stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts