TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after recently turning the dirty 30... I have taken a real hard look at my health.

I want to be around to see my son get married and all that happy stuff... Now I have not been to a Dentist in about 13 years.. I do brush and floss my teeth like a good boy though.

All I can say is DONT NEGLECT your teeth. I am lucky and work fro HP and have great insurance.. 4 fillings two cleanings and a root canal plus a crown and its cost me 150 bucks... Thiscould have been a few thousand dollars just becasue I didnt do regular check ups.

I am also going in to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I am lucky as they are all bone impacted and my health insurance is covering it but I am told becasue I have waited so long I may have caused damage to other teeth and its harder to recover.

Morel of my ramblings... take care of your teeth and dont put it off.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Ugh, I've been meaning to make an appointment for a cleaning since March! I need to have a couple fillings checked out too. Maybe next week....

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Ugh, I've been meaning to make an appointment for a cleaning since March! I need to have a couple fillings checked out too. Maybe next week....
too bad you dont know anyone who works in a dentist's office, ****in slack ass!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
So after recently turning the dirty 30... I have taken a real hard look at my health.

I want to be around to see my son get married and all that happy stuff... Now I have not been to a Dentist in about 13 years.. I do brush and floss my teeth like a good boy though.

All I can say is DONT NEGLECT your teeth. I am lucky and work fro HP and have great insurance.. 4 fillings two cleanings and a root canal plus a crown and its cost me 150 bucks... Thiscould have been a few thousand dollars just becasue I didnt do regular check ups.

I am also going in to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I am lucky as they are all bone impacted and my health insurance is covering it but I am told becasue I have waited so long I may have caused damage to other teeth and its harder to recover.

Morel of my ramblings... take care of your teeth and dont put it off.
Did you get a second opinion? IMHO, doctors, dentists, and car repair shops are all in the business... That is to take your money whether you need it or not.

Just because one person says you "need" something does not necessarily make it the truth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I haven't gone in over a year, bad me.

You just reminded me to schedule an appointment for this summer, thanks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get a second opinion? IMHO, doctors, dentists, and car repair shops are all in the business... That is to take your money whether you need it or not.

Just because one person says you "need" something does not necessarily make it the truth. :thumbsup:
The reason for the removal of my wisdom teeth is that the bottem ones are pushing on the back molars and I need to have one removed becase I am getting a crown on that molor. The other its pushing and causing some discomfort.

The uppers are being donw in as it looks like one has a cavaity and to prevent the other one from heading down that road they are going to remove it.

If you ask questions and have a dentist explain why and then you make a dission. I have never been ripped off by a dentist.. or a mechanic for that matter...

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
I love my Dentist. (He's my father-in-law)

:D <- Note the nice teeth.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I need to see a dentist too!!! I haven't been in for a cleaning in years. On the plus side I avoid lots of sweets. Other than the jelly for PB/jam sandwiches I don't buy sugary stuff. I only drink water. I'm lazy though and don't floss. I will start, I had someone convince me and I can't look back. Does anyone know if Aramark has such a good plan? I'm thinking of working for them. If you want to save your teeth stop with the soda or any acidic drink. I want to keep my teeth for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My wife is a nurse...I have a few horror stories about people in comas or being found dead due to impacted/infected teeth.......they found a truck driver out here on interstate 84, dead in his truck, a nasty impacted wisdom tooth killed him.....seriously.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My wife is a nurse...I have a few horror stories about people in comas or being found dead due to impacted/infected teeth.......they found a truck driver out here on interstate 84, dead in his truck, a nasty impacted wisdom tooth killed him.....seriously.
That is messed up, makes me want to have mine taken out.

·
3,868 Posts
see thats pretty sick and I am OCD about my teeth now that I'm older. Dentists are like human body mechanics IMHO.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That is messed up, makes me want to have mine taken out.

Well, I know that I haven't uttered a serious word since I starting posting here again, but infected teeth send toxins straight to the brain. I have a bit of a humorous horror story about having one of my wisdom teeth pulled out by a pair of rookie dentists at the dental school up at OHSU (university hospital here)....

My lower right wisdom tooth was infected, and wouldn't go away, so lacking basic insurance, I took my chances at the school, which lets budding dentists (idiots) have a whack at the general public without being sued too badly if they slip and drive that dental mirror up your nose.

They numbed the area around the tooth, stuck a rubber block in my mouth to keep my mouth open (yay, drool producer!), and the guy started yanking away on the wisdom tooth.
I have it on good authority that the halfwit skipped a step or two, because the tooth wasn't coming out, and he began pulling and wrenching harder and harder, in an attempt to get the tooth out.....failing in the process. My head was wrenched around 180 degrees, back and forth, with me going "AAGGGHHH!!!!! AGGGHHH!!!!", the remembrance of the tooth pain being the only reason why I didn't get up and launch this guy through a plate glass window.
As I thought about that for a moment, the movement stopped, and he had the assistant hold my head in place, while he climbed on top of the bed, bracing my head against his leg. My neck muscles, sore from the pulling, were now cramping horribly, along with my face muscles cramping from trying to hold my mouth around the rubber block....and then the tooth finally popped out, with him overbalancing, falling off of the bed, and ricocheting off of the stand he moved close to the bed.

Idiot.

·
3,868 Posts
When I see the dentist I will start the anesthesia before hand on my own in the parking lot.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
wow, you guys are nuts, anyhow, i have been lucky i have great teeth always a little yellow, its my natural color. i have NEVER had a cavity or any work done besides my 4 wisdom teeth pulled due to them pushing my other teeth out. and i had a retainer(upper) when i was little . other than twice a year cleanings. i have no issues or problems.

·
Registered
381 Posts
well, now you guys have me all paroniod. My back teeth are hurting, and it just feel right... grrr. but i DO need to go to a dentist, and i DO need to start brushing regularly. To bad its to late... *cry*

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I pay $100 a year in premiums that gets me two cleanings and a full set of x-rays in a year. Most other stuff is 80% up to $1000 paid by them per year.

I don't think dentists do unnecessary work, except the x-rays. seems like they always want to x-ray my teeth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts