TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
That could get real scarey too, if some of your angles, on your mockup, move at all during shipping, you end up with an expensive set of headers that don't fit. Way too risky in my books.

·
Registered
641 Posts
They have to have some sort of locking mechanism. Something that will lock them in position. They mentioned several times in that video the locking mechanism that the pvc piping has. Beats me, but if someone wants to take the plunge and test them out, it would make for a helpful add on for our cars. Then maybe someone could utilize a 5.4L 4v (assuming they could modify the strut tower braces) and then with the 'build-a-header' program....I'm just saying that there would be doors opening up for the more financially stable of our members.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know they stated lock em in place and from what i see, it's a matter of tightening the nuts at the joints to lock em. Now i've had lots of things shipped and i don't think the chance of stuff moving during transport is safe. It's pvc pipe and that don't take much to break loose. If someone wants to risk it, by all means go for it but it sure as heck wouldn't be me. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I seriously doubt that anything would move or break during shipping. From the things I have had shipped to me I think it is very unlikely.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are surprised at a 1k+ price? This isn't a Mustang board I posted this on is it?
Nope, didn't think so. A nice set of Kooks runs damn near 1k. You want longtubes that nobody makes? This is it. I always thought half the fun of owning these cars came from figuring out how to make readily available performance parts actually fit and work? Anyway, I'm sure someone will be brave enough to try this.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That looks pretty cool... I wouldn't think it would be any more expensive that something thats already availible. The consumer is doing the hard tedious work.

·
Banned
754 Posts
they're sealed together with pvc cement and then secured in whatever other way for the angles.

I really seriously doubt they are going to shift in shipping, besides a smart person would mark the pipes with numbers and alignment marks just in case this happened the company could easily put them back in place.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wasn't so much as surprised, but stating a fact. I'm actually quite interested in this, just not this month(s).

·
Registered
663 Posts
A year back or so there was talk wondering if anyone had actually tried installing mustang long tubes, to see if they could be made to fit with some work and nobody had actually tried. Everyone just knew that someone told them it was impossible. Not even some of our longtime members remembered anyone actually gambling on getting a set and cut and pasting

·
Registered
641 Posts
A year back or so there was talk wondering if anyone had actually tried installing mustang long tubes, to see if they could be made to fit with some work and nobody had actually tried. Everyone just knew that someone told them it was impossible. Not even some of our longtime members remembered anyone actually gambling on getting a set and cut and pasting
Trial and error. I know half of the crap that I DO know from trial and error.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I can see where that system would be a godsend for some people!!! One of the major problems with doing "uncommon" engine swaps is the exhaust.

As was mentioned before, the super hard work is designing the headers, not the actual fabrication. This way the customer (who has the car sitting right there in the garage) can spend hours upon hours building exactly what the wants.

·
Registered
874 Posts
acually there are a select few that are working on fitting mustang long tubes in the MN12 platform as of the pass couple of months. but i can not tell you who they are i have been sworn to secrecy :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
My friend and I looked at this for his Lincoln LS, but he doesn't know if he wants to stay NA, go SC, or TC, so he has a lot of thinking to do before making this plunge, lol. Thanks for sharing with the community - too bad it's so inactive now-a-days with a lack of projects actually going somewhere.

Stephen

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Danner actually bought a couple of sets and started cutting them apart long ago.
Some passenger side heads do fit perfectly, but the driver's side is the problem-child.
JL

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Using different tubing sizes than what those pvc/aluminum elbows that are provided will affect fitup; I think they should've mentioned that.

I've built custom one-off headers for a few others before and while it's not really fun nor easy, it feels much more rewarding if you're just doing them for yourself (assuming you already have the skills)......and you are patient enough to take whatever time it will take to get them right, starting with some good research.

I can't believe there aren't already like a dozen or more members here that are rocking some custom MN12 headers...headers that were never once on a shelf, in a warehouse, or listed in any catalog. :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts