TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been having a strange off and on hesitation problem with my car. Again this problem is off and on and when the problem is occuring, if i reset the engine computer via #15 fuse the hesitation will go away. Also when the car is not hesitating it seems as if there is reduced power. I have a feeling that the MAF is bad. Probably from me cleaning it often from the K&N filter (which i took off). Is there any other way i can determine if the problem is coming from the MAF sensor? Thanks

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Easiest way is to disconnect it while the problem is occuring and see if it goes away. If so its a very good chance the maf is bad.

Is the CEL on?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no code for a bad MAF. it's all clear as of now. I went ahead and took your advice by unplugging the MAF. The lower RPM was very rough (seems as if it was running rich) but after it got through to over about 1600-1700RPM it ran just fine. Although the hesitation went away, if the MAF was bad wouldn't my car run at low RPM rough ALL the time? Does anyone else know any other way to determine a bad MAF? I've been having this problem for a while now and can't put my finger on the component that is bad... Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be. Maybe i'll post something in the wanted section, see what happens. Thanks alot for the help... Kinda strange that nobody else is having this off and on hesitation crap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could be. Maybe i'll post something in the wanted section, see what happens. Thanks alot for the help... Kinda strange that nobody else is having this off and on hesitation crap.
I had something simular to that but it was when i would gun it
it would loose power and the cel would come on flashing
I did a wire change (spark plug) and it stopped so maybe your spark wires need changing or your plugs

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Could be your battery or alternator or both are going!!! 96 & 97 get weird when the battery gets weak.... ;)

If you can get a volt meter on the battery when it is happening see if it is above 14 amps. If so you can have a bad alternator.

You cna get a free battery load test at Jiffy Lube and other places. Call around and get one done...
:D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really? I just bought a new battery 2 or 3 months ago, so i doubt that it's that. The alternator i'm not sure about. Maybe i should get that checked out?

But i did go ahead and buy a whole new MAF and it did rid the problem away so far. However, i still am going to change my wires, plugs, and o2 sensors. Hopefully that will get it running in better shape. Thanks alot for all the help!

·
5,650 Posts
Could be your battery or alternator or both are going!!! 96 & 97 get weird when the battery gets weak.... ;)

If you can get a volt meter on the battery when it is happening see if it is above 14 amps. If so you can have a bad alternator.

You cna get a free battery load test at Jiffy Lube and other places. Call around and get one done...
:D
Oh this is so true. My car acted like it was possessed by a demon when the battery took a crap. Granted the battery was almost 10 years old. It served well during it's life but went out with a vengeance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.