TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

well i got it, can't get rid of it. It detonates at load with moderate to light throttle response (just enough to keep it from changing gears) anywhere from 1500 to 2300 rpm. I have a set of pi cams installed. No tune, Ran a can of seafoam through it (though it did get rid of my 4grand ping!!), no black smoke in fact harldy any smoke. I'm also running Autolite 103's, and i just recently put a tank of 93 octane in it, still detonates. MAF is clean, and i'm running a Napa gold filter, so no oil on it.

So how bout everybody tell me their fixes, causes, understanding of and probable evetual damage due to detonation. I am open for anything.

tony

·
Registered
348 Posts
Have you replaced your fuel filter lately? A clogged filter can cause your car to run lean which would lead to pinging. You might want to get your injectors cleaned as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the filter's only a year old, a lot younger than the previous one, and how about do i go cleaning the injectors?
tony

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you take your car to a shop they can hook up can of stuff to your schrader valve on the fuel rail. The car will run off the cleaner untill it dies. I had this done on my car last year. It smoked black for the whole time. My car runs on 87 now, but the motor is all stock.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My '93 5.0 stang had pinging and it was from a broken vaccuum line and the timing was to advanced (14 deg over) now at 12 deg. Now I always get confused on this one... does detonation cause ping or is ping and detonation totally diff.? My '95 cougar would give one loud ping every so often on hard acceleration at about 3300 RPM. I never heard it since I added MSD coils and FRPP 9mm wires.

Assumtion is the #1 mother of all f*** ups,

Clay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts