·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
idle1
idle2
Right click, save as.

Some things to note:
crank pulley bolt was fingertight, so I tightened it the best I could working against the belt. I still haven't torqued it down.

This is what my car sounds like at idle, I'm guessing timing chains?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
748 Posts
Man..........in IDLE 1.........did the car stall????? Hard to tell. In IDLE 2.......too much wind noise to really hear the car. What's the idel doing???

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope the engine never stalls, it stays normal and the sound goes away once I raise the rpm. This sound was still present after running w/out a belt for 10 seconds.

In the first one I just set the hood down and moved under the car. In idle2, listen around 23 seconds into the file, turn the volume up. That is my idle, which sounds like a rock tumbler or a diesel. I was hoping someone could recognize this sound from their experience.

·
Registered
748 Posts
OK.......well, it doesn't sound pretty at all. Almost sounds like your plugs are bad, you have a mis-fire of some sort, you're timming is off, or your A/F ratio is way off....or perhaps you have something mechanical wrong. To be honest, it's REALLY hard to tell from the sound clip.............but it does sound (to me anyways) like your timing is way off or your fuel curve is out of wack. What all (mods) have you done???

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine is stock, I have a KN panel filter if that helps, and cut off mufflers. I have heard this noise for quite some time, even after a plug/wire change. I only hear it at idle, the engine still pulls hard and I have had minor detonation (gunk build up or small vacuum leak) at random times.

No check engine codes either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts