TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just leaving for work, started the car and got out to clear the windows, shut the drivers door, but not before somehow managing to push the lock down. Then I realised I'd locked myself out, while the engine was running!:facepalm:

Thanks god I have a spare set of keys, and they weren't in my bag (which was also in the car).

Maybe I should stick a spare key under the car somewhere in case I do it again, and there's no-one at home to let me in to get the spare set!!

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
I know how you must have felt! I managed to lock myself out of my car for the first time over the summer while working on the East side of Cleveland (not in a good neighborhood).

Usually I leave my work tools on the passenger seat and have to collect them up before I get out of the car. This particular day I had taken the keys out, put them into the center console cup holder so I had both hands to grab stuff, then gotten distracted as I was getting my equipment together somehow. I opened the door, hit the lock button closed the door behind me as I walked into the building.

At the end of the day when I'd realized what had happened, it was just a quick call to the insurance company and 30 minutes later I'm back in my car. The keys were sitting in the cup holder all day!

This is why I pay the extra $4 a year for emergency roadside assistance. Now I make a point to always put my keys into my pocket before I get out of the car!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I had to get our equivalent of the AAA to open the car a few years ago when I locked the keys in there. That was when I decided to invest in a spare set - and I was very glad of that this morning!

On that ocassion they opened the car by putting wedges between the door frame and car body and making a gap between the two big enough to get a piece of wire in and hook round the inside door handle. I was amazed that they didn't permanently bend the door, or that I didn't have to break a window to get in!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did it out of state on vacation, had to call the locksmith and wait 2 hours for him to show up. The part that really made me feel stupid is for 2 hours staring at the keypad on the door and for the life of me couldn't remember the code. It's burned in my brain now, won't forget that again

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Works wonders , if knowing how to use it :cool:

This works also:

:diablo:

However, this scenario is one reason why I made it a high priority to fix the keyless entry when I bought the car. And it's saved me twice now ... although not really, I DO carry an extra door key in my wallet.

RwP

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Heh, with my current alarm system, it locks the doors when the ignition is engaged. So I locked myself out of the cougar on a hot summer day with the engine running and A/C on blast. No spare keys anywhere. I luckily had the trunk open to access my tools, I just undid both the bolts holding the hood latch to the frame and was able to open the hood and yank the IAC connector till the car died. Then my dad and I used a wire coat hanger to catch the doorhandle and open the door :tongue: Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Heh, with my current alarm system, it locks the doors when the ignition is engaged. So I locked myself out of the cougar on a hot summer day with the engine running and A/C on blast. No spare keys anywhere. I luckily had the trunk open to access my tools, I just undid both the bolts holding the hood latch to the frame and was able to open the hood and yank the IAC connector till the car died. Then my dad and I used a wire coat hanger to catch the doorhandle and open the door :tongue: Worked like a charm.
Or you could've tripped the inertia switch in the trunk...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've used slim-jims in the past on quite a few vehicles, and I've done the "coat hanger push the power unlock button" trick. I just locked the door with the car running in my Mark last week - lucky for me I guess the little keypad does work because I punched in the number and the door unlocked!

Ralph, I can honestly say that I've never broken the window to get in a vehicle.....

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Ralph, I can honestly say that I've never broken the window to get in a vehicle.....
Heh.

Neither have I.

But there's some folks what use a brick to unlock locked car doors ...

Or in the case of a K-car I owned once, the idjit used an old wall mount speaker. On an UNLOCKED door.

RwP

·
Registered
320 Posts
Works wonders , if knowing how to use it :cool:

I actually have one of those :D. Another method is to use a 1/8-1/4 inch steel rod bent to a 'J' shape with the base being more like a 'V'; do not use a coat hanger as the wire will be too flimsy. Just run the tool beneath the window so the opposite end will be on the interior side of the glass and fish the locking-post up from inside the door panel. The passenger side is ussually easier than the drivers' side I found.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have 2 door/ignition keys on my keys one key being the only one I use in the ignition. I can separate this one key from the rest so I can leave my car running and lock my doors, I have made it habit to never get out of the car without my keys. My girl asked me why I grab them even if she is in the car so I explained to her and now she does the same thing and same set up plus we have keys for each others car's not that she drives mine but still. I'm waiting on getting a remote start system installed with remote access to the trunk and fuel door.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Is the car still running?

I think you there is a life rule, when you turn 42 you put a hide-a-key under the car.
The brits are on different life process.

But the kicker is when you turn 50 you remember where it is.

The best invention ever for the automobile, door key pad.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think you there is a life rule, when you turn 42 you put a hide-a-key under the car.....
This....

All my vehicles don't have keyless entry so that little box is wrapped in a baggie and taped up under there somewhere. And I check every so often to make sure it's still there so I don't forget. Paying a locksmith $50 to open it three times will do that to you.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
There is a thread here where I added keyless entry to the TBird about 2 years ago and I absolutely love it! I can't remember exactly what keyless entry I bought, but it was only like $22 and cheaper than any locksmith!

Ok, here is the thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133209

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My 94 had a hid a key under it. Then I forgot where that was. Never did find thing. One time I had to pay a lock smith twice to get into my mark viii. He unlocked it then my retarded self grabbed my wallet from the console and locked the door without taking the keys. FAIL

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
A little tip for those who have a key pad. Enter the code numbers into your cell phone contacts list.
Huh.

I use mine usually about eight or ten times a DAY. No need to put it in the cell phone.

Plus, I carry a key in my wallet for the front door. Could carry a trunk key, and leave a hide-a-key in the trunk ...

But unless you add enough digits to make it 7 or 10 digits long (could follow it with 35 - after the 5 character code unlocks, a 3/4 button opens passenger, the 5/6 button opens the trunk, if pressed within, IIRC, 15 seconds), it's rather obvious what it is, innit?

RwP

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I miss having a keypad. I would like to add one to my 96. I made my code the same as the zip code of the town I lived in when I had the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts