TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out as I grew up in the era of watching Knightrider, I was thinking of putting some "knightrider lights" on my ride what do you guys think? just a thought that came to my mind. I foud a website that sells them. http://www.knightlight.co.uk/ if anybody has any thoughts or ideas please help it would be appreciated. If I decide to go on with the project I shall post some pics. thanx

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I remember about a million years ago :) when they were all the rage. There was a rash of people getting in trouble here in Georgia because red lights on the front of the car is reserved for emergency vehicles.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought of something similar. I have seen where you can get a row of leds that connect to your alarm and thereby only go off when the alarm is set. They had different colors and would light up in different patterns (about $30-40 if I remember correctly) I was going to remove the front T-Bird logo and just put it in that spot, never did though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
504 Bird said:
I thought of something similar. I have seen where you can get a row of leds that connect to your alarm and thereby only go off when the alarm is set. They had different colors and would light up in different patterns (about $30-40 if I remember correctly) I was going to remove the front T-Bird logo and just put it in that spot, never did though.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, taking off the T-Bird logo and putting in the LED lights in its place.

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah..theat idea crossed my mind too...but then i figured it would just be asking for someone to rip them off.....hate it when ppl gotta mess with others cars

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
red lights on the front of your car are illegal. Unless it's for shows or stopped in parking lots, etc. It's an alright idea but I think you'd have to better integrate it than just taking out the tbird logo and slapping it in. Maybe if you filled the tbird gap to better fit the LED or something to that extent, it might look good. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i had one behind the grill of my old 89 cavi a few years ago. i was getting gas at a sheetz and there were a few people standing in fron tof my car just sayin about knightrider

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
porkchop2oo2 said:
yea they might be illegal but they sure are fun :D

And here is a pic of the leds running side to side

http://members.tccoa.com/porkchop2oo2/DSCF0665.avi

short vid of the LED lights knight rider style. looks brighter in person but o well

-Mike
Dude that looks tight and the place that you dropped them is not a bad idea either. thanx for the video and the great idea maybe you can show me how you did this and give me some pointers, thanx again.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
You think red is illegal? Flashing blue lights even in a parking lot are a big no-no. They'll attract cops to you quicker than flies to a cow patty.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Sir William said:
You think red is illegal? Flashing blue lights even in a parking lot are a big no-no. They'll attract cops to you quicker than flies to a cow patty.
Yeh I know, I have no intention of even considering turning them on unless I'm at a car show. As of now, it's either going to be green or blue (or those new ones that can do a ****load of colors). Right now, everything is still in the planning stage.

Plus, the cops around here tend to cut us some slack about the lights as long as we are parked and they go off when we start moving. But don't put it into drive with the lights on, they'll be on you like stink on an ape.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
yall make such wonderful cliches, sir williams flies to a cow patty and cougar guy's stink on an ape.

and you might as well just go with the ones that do a load of colors and be done with it

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
What make/model are those mike? I'm thinking something like those only blue
StreetGow Red LED underbody system...i got it when it used to cost 200 bucks.. check out ebay for cheap kits.. just search streetglow led and you'll get some decent priced kits. it was funny one day i got pulled over by my neighbor! hes a detective and decided to have fun on my behalf. he told me that if he didnt know me he would of given me a ticket. would have to take it off by a pro shop and have them sign a form saying i took it off and then going to the dmv to clear it up. dam cali and our stupid laws.. :mad:

Dude that looks tight and the place that you dropped them is not a bad idea either. thanx for the video and the great idea maybe you can show me how you did this and give me some pointers, thanx again.
thanx man. well i had a shop do it like 2-3 years ago seeing how i was 16-17 and i was new to cars. its not that difficult as you think. the front and rear will have easy mounting locations. the rear looks great and so does the front. but the sides are more tricky. try mounting more towards the center of the car so you cant see the led tube from the side..thats tacky but ive been too lazy to fix or change that..maybe next week hehe. if you want ill take more pics later during the day to show you.

-Mike

·
Registered
604 Posts
Being familiar with both the Import and Domestic scene now, lemme say this. A red knightrider light on a car, ESPECIALLY a MN12, is going to be very very 'tater. If you don't know what 'tater is, it's the domestic equivalent of rice. If anything, have it on ONLY when the alarm is armed, but other than that I will point and laugh. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
yeah, I'd rock one on the front of my car, I'm not into the whole "stunna boy" scene, I dont give a **** what people think about my car, it's not their money paying for it.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Would have a while back, but think it's stupid. Fun on a big truck, though. :D

Now something tasteful would be put a neon behind the grill where you can only see the light reflection. The bulb cannot be viewable.

·
Registered
604 Posts
93pimpin said:
Now something tasteful would be put a neon behind the grill where you can only see the light reflection. The bulb cannot be viewable.
That's what I did on when I had my Cougar, but instead of a white neon I used a strip of white LED's to make it street legal(Cali is a pain in the ***). I just had it so the Cougar logo in the middle of the grill lit up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts