TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on a few weeks ago after a few runs down the dragstrip. It smelled like an oxygen sensor so thats what I figured it was. I went to have the rouble codes pulled and it turns out my cats are bad. No big deal right? Well here's what took me by suprise. The other code the car stored was one indicating my speed limiter had been reached! :xpoh: First of all, why does Ford have it set so low? And second, whats with the car telling on me? Eventually I'll get the speed limiter taken care of but I have other issues that need to be addressed before St. Louis in May. Just wondered if anyone knew that and figured someone might want to.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
in the future most likely all cars will be telling onppl. They want to install a "black box" like thing in y our car that record everything. Throttle position, speed, braking, cornering etc. They say its to "help"solve accidents

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
never heard of it in an mn12...but it does keep people honest.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The speed limiter is let there because of:
Average stock tires
Crappy driveshaft
Crappy brakes
Maybe torque converter

It's there for your safety...on a stock car.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Grasshopper said:
The speed limiter is let there because of:
Average stock tires
Crappy driveshaft
Crappy brakes
Maybe torque converter

It's there for your safety...on a stock car.
The issue isn't the speed limiter. Its the fact that it is recorded when you reach the speed limiter.
Big Brother is watching. :zwall:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yep, had that happen on the dyno last year.

As you can imagine I felt a little nervous taking my car in the lot and seeing a MIL right after a WOT blast and some tuning. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Speed limiters are incorporated in todays computer controlled vehicles for two major reasons, both of which are for safety. Safety in that speed kills, and safety because of centrifical harmonics. Suspension and drive train components including tires, are designed around specific perameters. The drive train, including the drive shaft, can only take so many rpm's before it wants to fly apart from vibration and centrical force. Without going into geometrics ( which I can't ) it means an explosion. Since we have lead in our feet, car makers have put in a fail safe. It sucks to us, but safety is first. Would you crawl under your car to install headers without ramps or jack stands? Putting a code in the ECM is just a measurement, not a Rat Fink. Enjoy the ride!! We can improve the performance, as well as the safety designed into our vehicles.
;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Off the topic maybe, but If there are speed limits why do they make cars go faster? Do they actually think a 400hp cobra or a 500hp viper is gonna go 55mph on a highway? (with common sense the answer would be no) And a top speed controlled at 100+? The question is WHY if we have SPEED limits?

Drag racing on a track is diff, Im talking street. And yes I understand most states have diff speedlimits but thats not what I am getting into

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I almost always drive the speed limit. Therefore, I have to derive driving satisfaction in two ways:

1. By reaching the speed limit in as short a time as possible.

2. By maintaining as much of that speed around corners as possible.

Unfortunately, our country is just too big to have an Autobahn-type highway system. There is far too much road to be maintained to the required level. The actual Autobahn is very well maintained, is smooth, level, and clean. If you tried driving at 130 or so MPH on most American roads, you wouldn't have much control at all, and chances are your ride wouldn't end well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Okay if they have speed limiters how did my speedo pass 120 mph. I was stuck on ice and got pissed and stood on it and it went past 120mph and the needle touched the bottom of the dash, however the car only moved an inch.

·
Registered
744 Posts
SloMo228 said:
Unfortunately, our country is just too big to have an Autobahn-type highway system. There is far too much road to be maintained to the required level. The actual Autobahn is very well maintained, is smooth, level, and clean. If you tried driving at 130 or so MPH on most American roads, you wouldn't have much control at all, and chances are your ride wouldn't end well.
the road is not the problem, it's the people on it. in europe it's very hard to get a license, let alone have the cash to afford it. so they can have highways where you can go 130+ because they have much better drivers on them.

the code for "reaching top speed" will not set off a light, only emisions related stuff will, and it will only be read if you look for it or you have another code that's set off the idiot light.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
lightining rod said:
Okay if they have speed limiters how did my speedo pass 120 mph. I was stuck on ice and got pissed and stood on it and it went past 120mph and the needle touched the bottom of the dash, however the car only moved an inch.

There's a smart thing to do :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Palmguy said:
There's a smart thing to do
Albert Einstein said:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"
.;)

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The "black boxes" are already in cars today. I know for sure almost every GM, the airbag module continuously records thingls like brake application, throttle position, steering wheel direction/angle, speed, etc. Upon airbag deployment, the module saves into permanent memory the last 5 seconds of information. This is retreived either thru the OBD II port, or via a special cable that goes directly to the airbag module. Ford also does this, though the recorded information is only like 1 second long. Most (all?) Ford vehicles (not ours) that have SCP and/or ISO information buses installed have this. I know for sure that 99+ Mustangs do. If you're not sure check your Owner's Mnaual, if your vehicle has this it will say so, with an excuse that the info is used by the engineers to analyze accident data. Well, it probably is, but that's not all it's used for. That could also be beneficial however, say you got into an accident and it wasn't your fault. The info in your airbag module's memory could prove you were not at fault. :(

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Pardon me, but what does MIL stand for?

And are you saying that reaching the limiters will make the EEC throw codes?

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
my step brothers 97 light comes on when u hit the speed limiter but my 96 doesnt :D

hahaha,

but yea, when they came out with odb2 (standard of diagnostic for onboard computers) that when a code is thrown it records what the car is doing at that point to help diagnose the problem,

so the snap on guy that comes to my work said that when he used to work for cadillac and the first car came in with a cel on, they looked and it said that the customer was going like 130 mph with the throttle at wot. so obviously they know how u drive and what caused the light to come on. but like i said, when that cel comes on it reccords exactly what the car is doing or what the driver input is, such as o2 readings, rpm, speed, throttle position etc..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts