TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check my timing marks and my lower drivers side missing guide locator pin.
I notice that one cam is at 11:00 and the other one at 12:00, and wonder if the broken/missing lower guide pin caused one chain to skip.
The car still ran, but it was more difficult to start.
The chains, guides, tensioners, and broken pin were all replaced at the same time I put new heads on, I am curious more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,777 Posts
I would degree the cams to be sure. if those are the plastic tensioners I would upgrade all the guides/ tensioners, but keep the original ones from the mn12 iron tensioner with ratchet assy.
You have to start over if you tried to start it, once it turns over it's like 100000+ crank revs to where the timing marks are perfect.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That picture was before disassembly, I replaced the heads and all timing components, oil pump etc, and timed the new stuff correctly. I think that locating pin being missing let that one guide flex enough for the chain to skip, the timing marks do not appear to be in the same place on each cam.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,358 Posts
That picture was before disassembly, I replaced the heads and all timing components, oil pump etc, and timed the new stuff correctly. I think that locating pin being missing let that one guide flex enough for the chain to skip, the timing marks do not appear to be in the same place on each cam.
Keep in mind that the timing isn’t exactly set just by the timing marks and clocking them to a certain position. When you install the chains you mark the ends of the chains then put the marked ends on the timing marks. Brand new chains typically have gold links on the ends so you don’t have to mark them. But again it’s not about putting the crank and cams in one exact position. Get them close then put the marked chain on. Make sense?

Reactions: XR7-4.6
1 - 4 of 4 Posts