TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 mustang 3.8 4r70w with a 75 shot, some bolts ons, and stock 3.27 gears. I dropped the tranny for a PI 3k stall and to mod the valve body. 36k miles on the clock, changed the fluid too.

I read the articles several times and borrowed a friends transgo video to get an idea of what I was doing. It was somewhat confusing trying to figure out what you're supposed to do for X year, I got the impression my 99+ VB had all the other good stuff so I didn't need anything but the larger holes?

Jerry mods to seperator plate only, drilled holes to following spec:
hole/stock/mod
1 .160 same
2 .060 .100
3 .160 .180
4 .080 .100
5 .080 .100
6 .130 slot
7 .080 same
8 .238 same
9 .081 .089
10 .075 .083
11 .070 .089

My car was already rough on the 1 manual downshift with the stock converter, so I left that hole alone. Wasn't too keen on jamming into reverse so I only made that one a little bigger.

The car does not bark tires, but I do have a 3k stall converter and soft tires with a 140 treadwear ratin (RE71s), it shifts very nice, goes into gear quickly at WOT and part throttle is almost smooth as stock. My only issue is it shifts earlier. Stock shifts for 1-2 and 2-3 where at 5600, now they are at 5200 and 5400, a little too early. Did I do something wrong or is that just the accumulators filling faster?
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
IIRC, with a slow shift you are still gaining RPM during the shift, so the PCM starts the shift early. Apparently the Ford PCMs aren't adaptive in this respect. Don't know about the current models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry has said shift points aren't adaptive. Was I supposed to remove a spring in one of the accumulators?

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,325 Posts
Depending on how hard you wanted the 1-2 shift, you can take out the bottom spring. And take out the spring for the 2-3 piston, so you have no spring for that one at all.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sprayed the car today, 75 shot. Before the shiftkit the car was shifting at revlimit NA, on the spray I had to let off or bang the limiter. I'm now shifting around 5200 NA, and 5300 on the spray :). 2nd gear used to also happen at 5600, now it happens around 5400 NA and 5600 spraying. 2nd gear needs to be faster, its suprising I gain that much rpm when spraying considering how much slower reving 2nd is compared to 1st. Which accumulator is for 2nd? maybe its the one I can get to w/o removing the VB, that would be nice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am pretty sure the 2-3 accumulator is at the back right. There is an exploded view in the tech articles under transmission for jerrys shift kit that shows which is which. I'm pretty sure u have to take off the valve body, but good luck.

-erik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts