TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of people who dont give a damn about their cars, they run forever. A friend with a fox body beats the piss out of his car and has had 0 problems with it in 4 years. He drives it like a 16yr old. Another friend has a tahoe and 4 wheels the thing every chance he can. A guy at work has been putting lucas trans crap in his galant for a year. I must be doing something wrong because Im ALWAYS working on my car. I love my car but a friend just named off a bunch of crap and his paint looks better. Alot of the people I know dont understand why I like Tbirds. Im just sick of the haters who dont recognise the work Ive put into her. Most of them dont do half what Ive done. Thanks for listening to my rant, Im now going for a cig and a beer.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maybe they have lots of little things going on with their cars that they don't notice or care about?

Either way I hear you, it can be frustrating spending so much time working on these cars, but what can you do?

·
Registered
613 Posts
You want a long winded philosophical rant on that?

Didnt think so.. so I'll short wind it.
suffice it to say I'm one of the 'other'. I beat the **** out of 'em - not so much anymore but I sure used to. And neglect maintenance...
But.. and this is important, just ask the Tahoe and Fox mustang guy. I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE my TBird and what she does for me. I propose cars are like dogs*. It's not exactly how you treat 'em it's that you love 'em.

My SVO was faithful to the end... when she realized I was getting a little bored with her.

* other possible allegory foregone for PC sake.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I hate people that throw tires on rims themselves, never balance anything, neglect front end and suspension parts and don't have shakes or rattles, I mean how the hell does that happen. The other year I spent $3000 on my F150 and I could not make it stop vibrating down the road...

However there are people who just neglect everything. As long as the car starts and moves they will drive it! Shakes, rattles, no exhaust, plastic windows, four speed that once had five, nails blocking of brake lines, etc... I don't really envy that, I do enjoy some level of comfort and safety.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I hate people that throw tires on rims themselves, never balance anything, neglect front end and suspension parts and don't have shakes or rattles, I mean how the hell does that happen. The other year I spent $3000 on my F150 and I could not make it stop vibrating down the road...

However there are people who just neglect everything. As long as the car starts and moves they will drive it! Shakes, rattles, no exhaust, plastic windows, four speed that once had five, nails blocking of brake lines, etc... I don't really envy that, I do enjoy some level of comfort and safety.
Kind of sounds like the Sable wagon I bought for my wife a month ago. I couldnt believe how bad it really was once I got it on the road and REALLY drove it. I replaced front and rear rotors/pads, damn near every vacuum line, UIM and LIM gaskets, cabin filter, air filter(was BLACK), plugs, wires, coil, pcv valve, 2 rear tires, drivers fron strut(broken coil) and there's STILL more that needs to be done.

I just couldnt believe that they were driving their kids around in that car the way it was. just goes to show you that as long as it turns on and goes in reverse/drive nothing else matters. That's DEFINATELY not me!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I don't see what's wrong w/ beating on your vehicles as long as its properly maintained. So what if you have to invest money into them? Some people get lucky and abuse them yet they rarely have issues. But think about this: When they DO finally have an issue how bad do you think it will be compounded by the other issues that they neglected? How much will a shop rape you on all that?

I'm quite diligent in my maint on all my vehicles, young and old. If something is not working 100% I fix it, or worst case band-aid it until I can afford to properly fix it. Hauling my wife and 3 year old daughter around in something that is not safe is unacceptable to me. I can't take chances like that. Besides, I have to be able to stop/steer around/accelerate around all the other idiots out there that don't fix sh*t and put us in harms way. Luckily my wife will call me at any point in time to inform me when one of the cars is not acting right so I have a heads up most of the time, not 3 weeks down the road when the "low oil" light translates into a "new engine" light, lol... I'm the only one that blows motors up in the family :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've always maintained my cars/trucks well and alway worry on a trip, hear every noise and feel every vibration etc. I have maps, cell phone and towing coverage and still worry. Then typically nothing bad happens. But, some junker 5 seater with 7 people in it with sagging suspension, way off camber front wheels, belching smoke on bald tires blows past me without a care in the world. I always imagine the smoking stain on the road when that clunker goes up in a ball of flame.....and never happens. Which is a good thing but I can't stop worrying about my car on the road. I end up carrying tools, water, oil and the ever universal duct tape everywhere I go.:cool:

There's no justice.....:diablo:

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
Besides oil changes and such I haven't really had to fix much, almost everything I've changed on the Cougar over the last 6 years was perfectly good and my main motivation was upgrading or updating for peace of mind as I saw fit.

I really couldn't care less about anyone appreciating the work I've done to it or not, I like the car better than most people I know by a large margin anyway :D

Oh And I still drive it like a 16 year old occasionally :D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just pissed off that day and venting. I had just got off the phone with my friend and was sick of hearing how his car was better and didnt need work.

And there is a difference between driving like that occasionally(which Im guilty of) and all the time. I wouldnt have modified the car if I didnt. But damn near every stoplight is a hole shot.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was just pissed off that day and venting. I had just got off the phone with my friend and was sick of hearing how his car was better and didnt need work.
The way I look at it, you're allowed. I was a fan forum moderator for five years and it's a good thing to be able to vent in a safe place.. esp as there's no 'politics' allowed on here.

Also..
Most on here don't frequent 'Happy Hour' I'm thinking. Which brings to mind...

It's ALWAYS something!!!!!​

So I'm out in the 90 deg 80% humidty putting in new odo gears and I get the cluster lying in place and start her up to drive around the block to see if the odo works...

Clack-clack-clack

WTH! What is this.. I almost panicked. Is that a rocker off sideways or something? Nah, couldnt be. It was fine when I shut it off!
ARRGGGHHHH!

So I drive it anyway, dunno why. Then alla sudden it stops clacking.

Oh, wait.. it's only that I hadn't heard that from one of my cars in years. Used to happen fairly frequently. Till I started only using synthetic. And I hadnt changed her oil, yet.

But the odo still doesn't work.. did I seat the little gears right?.... or do I need to swap the speedo from my old one before I drive her to the yard.?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Don't give up on the bird. And don't listen to the haters. The work and experience pays off big time in the long run because when you know the inside and outs of your vehicle, that IMHO is tenfold more important in the long run in the rough times!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Don't give up on the bird. And don't listen to the haters. The work and experience pays off big time in the long run because when you know the inside and outs of your vehicle, that IMHO is tenfold more important in the long run in the rough times!
This. Working on my car by myself and learning explicitly how things work has helped me out a lot when sh** hits the fan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts