·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,496 Posts
So that's what it looks like when billboards crash into each other.

As for the article and safety whining; Nascar has taken just about every element of fan connection from the races over the past 30-40 years, yet it surprises and disturbs the teams and drivers that crashes are the most entertaining aspect left?

Yeah I just looooooooooove taking 20 years off my hearing per race, sitting in sticky, hot, pee dampened bleachers in the process and going absolutely dizzy attempting to decipher a MUSTANG from a CAMRY going in a oval! LOVE IT! The only problem with that kind of thrilling experience is knowing the "danger" the multimillionaire drivers must endure!

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Wow! Amazing wreck. Gotta love the restrictor plate ... (Not! :mad:)

Not a current NASCAR fan myself, but daym whatta wreck!

... I miss the good old days of NASCAR in the 80's. When THUNDERBIRDS ruled the track! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. No, I hadn't seen the wreck, nor was I even aware of it until you mentioned it here.

·
Administrator
8,215 Posts
Good old Smoke, looks like trying to block the field totally blew up in his face! :boom:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,524 Posts
Yep, I saw it. Like Joe said... Stewart trying to block for his position is what started the whole thing.

I have been told that next year they are going to start sculpting the cars to actually represent the body shapes of the cars they're supposed to represent.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Late 1960s early 70s was the last time Nascar was really good. Over the years, Nascar has leveled the competition - resulting in what you see here. Current Grand National restrictor plate racing isn't fun to watch anymore. I'd rather see a few really innovative racing teams excel instead of a leveled playing field.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the way the driver's blame the track, restrictor plates, even the FANS for the whole accident?!

Sure, maybe the restrictor plates are a factor, but it was aggressive racing styles that caused the accident. No driver should have been trying anything stupid on the last lap when everyone is trying to get ahead in a 30 car group, going max speed 4 and 5 wide into corners.

It was an accident caused by a driver (Stewart in this case), plain and simple. It surely wasn't the fan's fault - any of those drivers that blame the fans just flat out doesn't want to take responsibility for his own mistakes.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I like the way the driver's blame the track, restrictor plates, even the FANS for the whole accident?!

Sure, maybe the restrictor plates are a factor, but it was aggressive racing styles that caused the accident. No driver should have been trying anything stupid on the last lap when everyone is trying to get ahead in a 30 car group, going max speed 4 and 5 wide into corners.

It was an accident caused by a driver (Stewart in this case), plain and simple. It surely wasn't the fan's fault - any of those drivers that blame the fans just flat out doesn't want to take responsibility for his own mistakes.
Tony Stewart even said it was his fault in a post race interview...could have been worse and got wrecked 19 laps in like Carl Edwards did because of Casey Mears refusing to give another car some racing room. BTW, I think restrictor plate racing is stupid.

David

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
:eek: Holy crap. Can't imagine what it would be like to be in Tony Stewart's place upside down on top of another car doing 150 mph.. Just the anxiety of what's going to happen next..

First sentence of that article just about sums it up. lol..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts