TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to change my coil pack, and want to use dielectric grease on all the connections. Trouble is, I'm having difficulty finding "dielectric" grease over here in the UK. I can get silicone grease from an electrical component shop, is that the same thing???

·
8,239 Posts
I'd have to see what it looks like out of the tube.

Dielctric grease is like a clear jelly.

Similar in appearance to vasoline (obviously not the same though)

·
Registered
385 Posts
did you try the us side of ebay and see if you can get it sent there

·
8,239 Posts
sloth92 said:
did you try the us side of ebay and see if you can get it sent there

Surely he can find a two dollar tube of grease.

What do they use on the back of brake pads in the UK? Probably the same thing we use here.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use high melting point grease on the back of brake pads, like "Comma Copper-ease" which as far as I know does not have any electrical qualities.

THe "dielectric" in dielectric grease indicates to me that it has some sort of capacitance quality as in electrical charge. The dielectric of a capacitor is tha material between the plates inside the unit that hold the charge.

The silicon grease that I've found has electrical insulating properties, but no mention of dielectric properties.

If the stuff is only to act as a secondary seal to stop moisture getting in, and add a bit of insulation to the joint as well as making it easier to unplug, then I'll happily use that. If the "dielectric" bit is significant though, I'd rather use the correct stuff.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Dielectric means it is an insulator. It can take an electrical charge but does not allow electricity to flow. If you are looking at silicone grease at an electronics place, that should be what you want to use.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Some of you guys are looking into this waaay too deeply. Silicone grease will work just fine. If someone's got spark jump from one wire to another, or shorting out in the system, it's because either their wires or coil packs are on their way out, not because he isn't using some special dielectric grease. Hell.....you could use Vaseline on the insulator if you want to. The only reason they use it at all is to help maintain a seal in order to keep water out of the plug boot.

...and the last set of brake pads I got came with a tube of plain old graphite grease. :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Do not use Vaseline or any other petrol based grease. Silicon grease is very similar to dielectric grease. I'd go with that.

·
8,239 Posts
GreenBird said:
Do not use Vaseline or any other petrol based grease. Silicon grease is very similar to dielectric grease. I'd go with that.
I was trying to explain what dielectric grease looked like, it looks like vasoline.

I wasn't saying spread vasoline everywhere, its the same thing lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts