TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could give me the cause for this problem.

I was late for work so I drove as quick as I could and on the way in I left my key in the car and in the auxilary on position. I left it this way for about 7 hours (I locked the spare key in the car). Of course the battery was not strong enough for a start, but lights were half dim. I got a jump and got home only to fine the engine still running and auxiliary lights on after I turned to key off position. I was even able to take the key out of the ignition and it still ran on it's own, it just would not shift into gear of course.

Before the jump start I tried several starts with a badly drained jumper battery before getting the jump from a co-worker. I noticed here it was staying auxiliary stuck on even in engine off position, but I just assumed it would be fine when I finally got the jump.

The solution to this problem was to unhook the battery (car still running), and than unhook the fuel cut off in the trunk (so engine would die), wait a couple seconds, hook everything back up. Three tests later and it's starting up fine and shutting off fine.

I hope the above is a lasting solution and this was just one of the freakiest things that happened by accident, but if anyone has a recommended place to double check for a fault I would appreciate it.

P.S. I tried cutting the fuel inertia switch off first without taking the battery off and the engine would not shut off after a reconnect and start up. Battery off while running of course did not stop the engine, so the only solution that worked was both off for a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Never heard of your situation before. The only similar case I'm familiar with is discussed in This Thread.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link to that thread. I am going to go with if it is not broke do not fix it for now. Once it's warmer it will be easier.

Well I did mention I tried to start it several times, but did not mention my failed attempts at shutting it off such as saying "please".

A few of the failed attempts were turning off past off which was the same length as going from auxiliary on to auxiliary off. So it was auxiliary off to before before that which is nothing (is that normal?)

One more was to jiggle it thinking the position was just not locking. I even tried pushing in and pulling out. I was able to pull it out about a centimeter or two, but it stopped and still allowed me to turn through the positions like normal. Of course this was not the solution either, so I pushed it back in to default.

If this is pointing to a faulty ignition switch, or the actuator (is that in the steering column?) it would help me on my troubleshooting after winter is over. Although I am hoping this is just a freak occurrence (knock on wood), I would rather know and fix it when I have the time, rather than do it in a hurry because I need the car for work/life.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts