TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the cars making over 400 lb-ft using for differentials? Anybody using an Auburn Pro or Ected Max? How are they holding up?

I've got a Torsen T2 that has survived about 120 dragstrip launches, but most of those were before the latest combo which puts down 416 lb-ft.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I am a believer in 31 spline ford OEM housings, for big torque you nmeed to look at a level 5 setup for the rear and modified cobra axles. Stack the clutches with 4 on each side for a 25% upgrade and use a solid pinion spacer.
Alan

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm running a stock track loc unit with 516 ft lb

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
I'm still using a Trac-Loc with the alternate stacking and F-150 S-spring at 478rwhp/390 rwtq. No issues thus far. I want to say that David Neibert's '91 SC (499.66 rwhp/467.65 rwtq) is running the same, and his '93 turbo'd SC (726.7 rwhp/592.2 rwtq) is running a Auburn Pro. If I ever kill the Trac-Loc, I'll either rebuild it or go to a Auburn Pro.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alan,

I realize that differentials are not the core of your business, but do you build them? If not, who would you recommend to set me up with all the hardware you described? I have a good shop locally who could install the parts, but they are not a high performance builder.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The best rear end out there is a true trac way stronger that a torsen I broke a torsen in my 86 in 3 passes with the blower, been running a true trac ever since, I installed a tru trac in oscars rear end build

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robert,

Do you happen to know the part number for the Tru Trac which works with IRS? Do you also recommend 31-spline axles?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am running a Tru Track aka Detroit Locker in mine that holds up fine. It is pretty rough for regular street use, but much stronger than the clutch or gear type units. I have to be very careful with the gas while doing any turning, since it goes from normal differential action in a corner to like a spool with just a slight increase in gas pedal action.

I have been using this for 9 years with no problems. It takes almost as much concentration driving as a Spool does. I am above 800 on Torque and HP, but I only run it 3-4 times a year, and use Drag Radials only. At least using a steady gas pedal, it will turn a corner normal, unlike a spool.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Alan,

I realize that differentials are not the core of your business, but do you build them? If not, who would you recommend to set me up with all the hardware you described? I have a good shop locally who could install the parts, but they are not a high performance builder.
Are you talkign abotu the level 5 setup? There was a thread all about it on sccoa you might want to go look for. The cobra IRS axles I guess you have to find reman or used. Level 5 is expensive. That is the setup Mike Siska has in his. Prepare to put $1500 or more in it not counting the differential.
Alan

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
392Bird,

I certainly don't want something with a hair trigger on the street. Are we confusing two products here? Eaton makes both the Detroit Locker (which sounds like what you have) and the Detroit Truetrac, which is an all-gear limited slip (apparently similar to the Torsen but stronger).

dirtyd0g,

Yes, I'm talking about a Level 5 setup, if that is what I need for reliability. But, as noted above, it also needs to be fully streetable since that is where the car spends most of its time. I'm willing to put a couple thousand into the right set of hardware.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yes he is talking about the locker the tru trac is smooth

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
392Bird,

I certainly don't want something with a hair trigger on the street. Are we confusing two products here? Eaton makes both the Detroit Locker (which sounds like what you have) and the Detroit Truetrac, which is an all-gear limited slip (apparently similar to the Torsen but stronger).

dirtyd0g,

Yes, I'm talking about a Level 5 setup, if that is what I need for reliability. But, as noted above, it also needs to be fully streetable since that is where the car spends most of its time. I'm willing to put a couple thousand into the right set of hardware.
have you thought of doing a straight axle swap?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
dirtyd0g,

Check the thread on sccoa you'll have to buy direct from level5 I don't think they do any vendor discounts. Several of the guys are talking about doing a group buy. I know Neibert for sure was thinking about the swap.
Alan

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
_95badbird,

No, not seriously. I like the ride and handling with the IRS.

dirtyd0g,

I read a couple threads regarding diffs and halfshafts at SCCoA. Still confused: is Level 5 a company, or is it a product from The Driveshaft Shop?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, ignore the under-informed question above. I went back to SCCoA and reread those threads, plus several more. Now I think I understand that Level 5 is DSS halfshafts with 31-spline inner and 33-spline outer ends, which require special hubs. Level 2, then, must be 28 or 31-spline inner and 28-spline outer ends. Both would be stronger than what I have, but Level 5 is the strongest possible IRS setup.

So, back to my original inquiry. Assuming I can resolve the high IAT issue (working on that now) and get more timing advance into the tune, I could end up with ~400 RWHP and ~450 RWTQ. The car is never going to have nitrous or a transbrake, and likely will stay on DRs. Given all that, do I really need Level 5 or would Level 2 be enough? The combination I'm thinking about upgrading to would be a Detroit Truetrac and DSS Level 2 shafts, both 31-spline. Will likely go back to 3.73 gears at the same time. What do you guys think?

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Honestly, stock SC halfshafts would suffice, especially if you switched to a set of bias-plys instead of DR's. Level 2 shafts should be more than strong enough.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The stock stuff is plenty strong, Hans ran 11.47 with a 1.59 60ft if u want something stronger just supercoupe half shafts

1 - 20 of 51 Posts