TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere to get 3.73 gears, with a locking diff, in a pumpkin ready to go. Where all I would have to do is drop the center section and pop in the new one, button it up and go? If not whats the best way to go about Building one?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
nothing came with 3.73 and an irs, so no. They pop up for sale around here every now and again which is probably the easiest and cheapest way. Or find a TL diff with 3.27 or 3.08 and swap in your 3.73. That's what I'm currently on the hunt for

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'll disagree on the "cheapest way" being here for a complete pumpkin as shipping the heavy diff adds significant costs.

Here's an alternative:
* Tbirds are plentiful so finding an IRS donor pumpkin is fairly easy. A little harder if you want a TL rear end and/or aluminum case (Mark VIII) but still possible.
* 8.8" gears are plentiful so finding someone who wants to upgrade from their 3.73 gears to even shorter gearing is pretty easy. The weight is managable so you can buy these items online.
* If you don't want to do it yourself, there are plenty of folks who can correctly rebuild a Ford 8.8" rear end. I've done it once and paid Dan to do it a second time.
* In both instances, the bearings/etc. came from rockauto + summit (ordered a TL rebuild kit from them so it was cheaper to combine shipping and order the bearings/etc from them as well).

·
Super Moderator
7,567 Posts
FRPP used to sell a complete assembled aluminum diff with a trak-lok and 3.73s, but they don't anymore, so at this point either buying a used diff that someone is selling, or buying the parts and having someone put it together for you are your only options. If you aren't comfortable rebuilding the diff yourself, I would suggest going to the junkyard and getting a TL diff out of an SC, and buy a set of 3.73s, a crush ring, and new clutches for the trak-lok, and bring that all to someone who can rebuild it for you.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
FRPP used to sell a complete assembled aluminum diff with a trak-lok and 3.73s, but they don't anymore, so at this point either buying a used diff that someone is selling, or buying the parts and having someone put it together for you are your only options. If you aren't comfortable rebuilding the diff yourself, I would suggest going to the junkyard and getting a TL diff out of an SC, and buy a set of 3.73s, a crush ring, and new clutches for the trak-lok, and bring that all to someone who can rebuild it for you.
If you are paying someone else to do it, you might as well bring them the bearings and shims as well.

-g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts