TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to change my plugs today in my V6 and one of the wires ripped apart. I got a ride to Advanced to pick up some more wires but they were out of stock.

He checked on mustang wires but we were both pretty sure that they would be the same and they were. He looked up 93 t bird wires and they were in stock. I went ahead and bought them because the V8 is out of commision and I need a car tonight.

Does anyone know of any diferences in the wires? The boot looks to be a different shape but that could just be the brand. I'm pretty sure that the heads are the same from year to year. I was thinking that maybe the 93 wires might be a different length or maybe Advanced just screwed up when they listed them.

I'm going now to try and put them on so I guess I'll fing out if they work. If they don't then I will have to try and find a ride to the next town.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i guess your findign out now that the coil wire is too short for the mn12 car from a mustang kit , the wires for the cylinders should be ok

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the mustang wires were out of stock also. I bought the 93 tbird wires. I was wondering why they were listed as in stock while the ones for a 94 bird were out of stock.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm done. All of the wires were about two inches longer than the ones I took off but that could just be the manufacturer(Xact). I changed all six wires and had two left. There was no coil wire. They both had regular boots on them and one was only about 7 or 8 inches long so I used the old coil wire. But the car fired up and is running fine.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't 94 the first year for DIS on the 3.8 NA ... hence no coil wire??
I don't know I've never seen a 93 or earlier 3.8.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
jda95bird said:
I don't know I've never seen a 93 or earlier 3.8.

well, how bout some dedcutive reasoning.....do you have DIS on your 94?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, how bout some dedcutive reasoning.....do you have DIS on your 94?
I was half asleep when I posted. DIS means distributorLESS ignition system, right? My 94 has a distributor. I popped the hood on my friends 97 when he came and gave me a ride to go get plugs and his was DIS so I'm guessing it started in 95-96. Most likely 96 since t birds tend to go in pairs.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
jda95bird said:
I was half asleep when I posted. DIS means distributorLESS ignition system, right? My 94 has a distributor. I popped the hood on my friends 97 when he came and gave me a ride to go get plugs and his was DIS so I'm guessing it started in 95-96. Most likely 96 since t birds tend to go in pairs.
ok. well, if the plug wires between the 2 3.8 wire sets were different, the other one was either the wrong wires or were for an SC thunderbird since they use DIS.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
calf/NY 94-95's had DIS, 48 state 94-95' had a distributor like the 89-93's did. All 96-97's have DIS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts