TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, thats all.

I wanted to also know the price differences and what not.. I've always wanted one, could be a great B-day present :D

Thank you,

John

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Well, I've never seen an aftermarket moon roof, only sunroofs. If you don't know the difference, a sunroof is a glass panel that can be tipped up to let air in/out. A moonroof can slide back out of the way and be totally open. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sir William said:
Well, I've never seen an aftermarket moon roof, only sunroofs. If you don't know the difference, a sunroof is a glass panel that can be tipped up to let air in/out. A moonroof can slide back out of the way and be totally open. :D
I have never seen a erm.... glass-roof ... ;) .... that can't do both of those. What is the accurate name for the one that does both?

·
Registered
156 Posts
From Wikipedia
sunroof

A sunroof is a cutout in a car's (or truck's) roof that can be opened to provide fresh air and sun to the people inside. A sunroof can be made of the same metal as the rest of the roof, or it can be made of plastic and transparent (usually tinted), in which case it customarily referred to as a moonroof. Moonroofs have a sliding shade in the interior that can be retracted, and were invented by the American Sunroof Company.

Sunroofs can be manual or electric. Manual sunroofs usually work by flipping up to create a small opening around the edges, or being removed completely. Electric sunroofs either flip up and slide back on top of the roof, or down and into the roof. An electric sunroof will have access to close it manually if the motor or control circuitry fails.
All moonroofs are sunroofs, but not all sunroofs are moonroofs.

See if you can find a dealer/installer for Inalfa/American Sunroof Corporation (ASC). I believe that they are the "inventors" of the auto sunroof [I read it on the internet (see above def.), so it must be true :) ]. This page from a Cali dealer has pictures of some of their products.

I also found this contact info:
From LS1TECH.com
ASC Incorporated
ASC, Incorporated
One Sunroof Center
Southgate, MI 48195
TEL: (734) 285 4911
FAX: (734) 246-2735

SUNROOFS/AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES
American Sunroofs Inalfa
747 Advance Street
Brighton, MI
1-800-521-9753
I haven't contacted a local ASC dealer yet for prices, but the cheapest option would definitely be a manual pop-up sunroof. I've seen prices between $150-250, plus install.

Motorized sunroofs are probably a few hundred dollars more. Street Beat Customs lists some ASC spoiler-style models between $330-500. That's for the sunroof alone. I don't know what labor will cost, depends on the installer.

I haven't looked into any other manufacturers, but Google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These prices aren't bad.. Would the installer have to cut a hole into the sunroof? Or do i replace the entire roof on the car?

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Astaeroth is correct.

In general terms, a moonroof can be glass or metal, but it's one that slides internally, or under the roof.
A sunroof can be flip-up, or it can slide back over the roof (Cavalier/Sunfire, Sebring/Eclipse) and is usually called a "spoiler sunroof".
I had a 17x32" flip-up installed for $320. It included a lifetime warranty on everything except glass breakage.
I could have had an electric spoiler installed for $750...
There was also a "topslider sunroof" (probe, MX-6), but they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the manual sunroofs can be completely removed for when it is nice out?

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
yes, but always carry it with you. I remember when i was little my mom's probe had a sunroof and we went out once on a sunny day and left the glass in the garage, during our time on the road the sun went away and it started to rain. Needless to say our day ended early.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the little overhead light? Where does that go?

Can you buy this stuff from Dan N.?

·
Registered
824 Posts
In general terms, a moonroof can be glass or metal, but it's one that slides internally, or under the roof.
A sunroof can be flip-up, or it can slide back over the roof (Cavalier/Sunfire, Sebring/Eclipse) and is usually called a "spoiler sunroof".
My..uhh...window in the roof slides internally under the roof, AND flips up...

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Difference between a Sunroof / Moonroof?

Time of day. :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Al_Florida said:
Difference between a Sunroof / Moonroof?

Time of day. :D
Darn! Beat me to the punch again! Was just gonna say; When the sun is shining down on me, it's my "sunroof". At night, when the moon is out; It's my "moonroof". Either way, I like it a he*l of a lot and use it when the weather's right. I find it especially usefull for transporting my giraffes. :D

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Teal94BirdV8 said:
My..uhh...window in the roof slides internally under the roof, AND flips up...

You misread my post. You have a moonroof because the glass slides under the roof in the open position. All sunroofs/moonroofs flip up (vent position). A power sunroof slides back above the roof.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Sideoiler said:
...I find it especially usefull for transporting my giraffes. :D
Must suck if you forget to train them to duck when approaching a bridge. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts