TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over the details on the JMod, the difference between the JMod mild versus JMod mild w/gear change is pretty small like this:

Hole 2: .081" vs .100" (1-2 / 2-1 shift)
Hole 4: .081" vs .100" (2-3 / 3-2 shift)
Holes 9 & 11: .081" vs .089" (4-3 downshift)
Hole 10: .076" vs .089" (faster reverse engagement)
Slot 1: no change vs .100"
Holes 1, 3, 5, 6, 8: either no change or no difference

We're talking minute differences in size here, 0.019" at most. What that means in shift feel or speed I have no idea.

I'm debating if I should go totally mild to start since my car is bone stock or go mild w/gear change since I plan on changing gears some day (hopefully this summer, but that's not for sure yet).

The thing here is I don't want to open the holes up too big since I can't make them smaller, but I could always drill them out bigger down the road if I need to.... so with my stock car I'm leaning toward going totally mild but if I get gears will the JMod still be nice even if I went with like 4.10 gears or will I wind up dropping it down, and drilling the holes bigger?

Thoughts? I already have all the parts, and I'm hoping to get on this next week but I just want to research and ask lots of questions before I do it, to make sure I do it right the first time if possible :)

Are many guys out there doing the mild w/gear change even though they have stock gears???

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, so what if I put in 4.10 gears, should I drill the holes out larger then? Or just go nice and mild? The basic mild settings sound nice and conservative for my 205 hp engine :)

I wish someone else lived in my town that has done this so I have something to compare to :)

p.s. Can you tell I sometimes over-analyze things? LOL

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I wish someone else lived in my town that has done this so I have something to compare to :)
There is a car not very far away from you that has done this. I know that car will be out of storage on 02 Apr 2012...

My suggestion is to go with the 300-450 HP mod which is literally the same as the mild with gear change with the exception that you remove the bottom accumulator spring...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah we should get together sometime next month. Between the converter and gears I would like to go for a cruise in your car before I get too far into things with my own car ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
I have a mid setting J-mod with 4.10's.

Don't drill the holes larger than the mid-settings call for.

Yes, you're over-analyzing things. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
When you decide what converter you are going with I will tell you what settings to run. The converter has a good bit of difference in how you set up the valvebody.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts