TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Difference is super coupe are red taillight plastic on bottom and LX are black plastic. 89/ 93....... 94/97 same i think the cut off year may be off though may 89 to 92 not sure when they went with lit trunk lights

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
89-92: base and LX = black strip on bottom, no LEDs
SC = all red with LEDs

94-95: base and LX = black strip on bottom with LEDs
SC = all red with LEDs

96-97: all red with LEDs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do not think the first gen super coops were leds......????

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
tinman_72 said:
89-92: base and LX = black strip on bottom, no LEDs
SC = all red with LEDs

94-95: base and LX = black strip on bottom with LEDs
SC = all red with LEDs

96-97: all red with LEDs.
Correction:
89-91 base models and LX's had the black strip on the bottom, the Super Coupes were all red - but neither had LED's. It was just a reflector panel on both.

93-95 LX's had the black strip on the bottom with LED's, the Super Coupes were all red

96/97's were all red.

-Melon

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so would the super coupe trunk be different or can I just pick up a set of SC lights and bolt them up to my 93 LX?

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Melon said:
Correction:
89-91 base models and LX's had the black strip on the bottom, the Super Coupes were all red - but neither had LED's. It was just a reflector panel on both.

93-95 LX's had the black strip on the bottom with LED's, the Super Coupes were all red

96/97's were all red.

-Melon
Okay, I was misinformed. The early SC's did not have LEDs.
As to me putting 94-95 instead of 93-95, that was a mistype.:tongue:

I notice that you left out the 92's the same way that I left out the 93's.:D

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
My 92 lx has LED's.

~Chuck
My buddies 92 Sport also has LED's!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
One think to watch for is the 97' cornerlights have an extra plastic "location prong" sticking out of them that needs to be cut off to fit 92-96 models.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
So it goes.

89-91 LX- Non LED, but reflected tails, with a black strip on the bottom with Thunderbird LX (or just Thunderbird or Sport in script) on the strip.

89-91 SC- Non LED, but reflected tails that are all red. (Thunderbird SC is on the bumper)

92-95 LX- LED'ed tails with black strip and Thunderbird LX on the strip.

92-95 SC- LED'ed tails that are all red (Thunderbird SC on bumper).

96 LX- Same as 92-95 SC's

97 LX- Sames as 96's but with an extra clip.

NOTE: The 92+ trunks got a slight redisgn, the tails have a curve in them and there is nothing between the liscene plate and metal on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've read in other threads here, that the 96-97 all red lights are a different red than the earlier SC tails. Can someone verify this?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Black_97_LX said:
I've read in other threads here, that the 96-97 all red lights are a different red than the earlier SC tails. Can someone verify this?

the 93-95 SC led lights are the same as the 96 LX lights nothing different

the 97 led lights have a different red tint to them they are more orangish if you will. they also seem to last a heck of alot longer then the previous years. i cant tell you the last time i saw a 97 with LED's that were out.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
here are the 97 tails, and the led's are burn't out on the driver's side so i unplugged both of them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

the 97 led lights have a different red tint to them they are more orangish if you will. they also seem to last a heck of alot longer then the previous years. i cant tell you the last time i saw a 97 with LED's that were out.
Well... 97 is also the newest MN12.

Mine still shine pretty bright!

~Chuck

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

Hey mine all work in my 97 still!!! Don't jinx me!

I just keep waiting for one to start burning out! But to my surprise, it hasn't happened yet! My 96's were all fubr'd....LOL!

:tongue:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

I have 94 SC centers (with all the LED's working) and 97' Corners on my 96' they look the same color red to me. :confused:

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
rancherlee said:
I have 94 SC centers (with all the LED's working) and 97' Corners on my 96' they look the same color red to me. :confused:
put a 97 light on one side and and one of these (92-95 sc or 96 or to judge color put any 92-95lx) put one of thoes on the other side, and take a look at the different shade. the 97 is more orangeish vs the deeper red of the previous years.

has nothing to do with the corner light lenses.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts