TCCoA Forums banner

Different place that cracks on intakes......

858 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  GreenBird 
#1 ·
Well today my engine was missing and check engine light came on.Took it to my friends to get checked out and it said that I had a mis fire on number 4 cylinder,hmmmmmmm.Changed the wire,coil and that still didnt help.Looked around number 4 hole and here is what I found............

That is where the rear heater hose goes into.You cant tell very well but it is cracked from the top down about an inch.

Only took me an hour and 10 minutes to change it.

Here is the old intake after I tried to JB Weld it,lol.Needless to say it didnt work.

And here is the real kick in the A$$,the warranty expired 2 months ago and would NOT help me out any.Oh well,I guess that is customer satisfaction.
Thanks,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
you gonna buy a builit intake now.....or just get another random 4.6 intake that fits

#3 ·
JoeyICU said:
you gonna buy a builit intake now.....or just get another random 4.6 intake that fits

The 3rd pic says it all.I just swapped it out with a stock one.I am keeping this car stock and concentrating on my 92 for now.
Does anyone know what Ford charges and how long it takes them to swap out an intake?
Thanks,
Chris

#5 ·
LX-Tasy said:

Does anyone know what Ford charges ... to swap out an intake?
Thanks,
Chris
Arm, Leg, 1st and 2nd born child.

Lucky you had Enbalmer's intake... of course, you could drop some $$$ and get the SVO intake.....

Or do you have PI heads in waiting (raffle?).....

#6 ·
Embalmer said:
Boy, that intake of mine sure came in handy, didn't it?
Sure did and just the right time,lol.Got it Sat. and mine cracked Sun.Thanks for all your help everyone.
Lol 66dvlbrd68,no I am not getting the PI heads for this car.I am leaving it stock for good.I did have plans for it but since I got my 92 Sport that is my concern now.
Thanks,
Chris

#7 ·
My 97 intake cracked in the exact same place, and was running like what you said yours was. Did swapping out the intake fix the problem? Mine still runs funny sometimes. If I go out and hammer on the car a bit, not long afterwards it will stumble like it is dropping a cylinder, and soon there after I will get a check engine lite, code p0334, primary coil C malfuntion.
I also have tried to repair my intake, and it seems to be holding water, but it is probably not as tight as a new one. Let me know if replacement fixed it on yours.
Thanx.
Scott

Formerly from Jax, now in Atlanta area

#8 ·
Hey Scott.I havent had a miss from it yet.It is running better now for some reason.I guess it has been leaking for sometime now.Did you fix it or replace it?Since yours is a 97 it should be under warranty.Mine is a 96 and it was only 2 months past the warranty date,I know they planned that,lol.
Thanks,
Chris

#9 ·
So what's the verdict on the original plastic manifolds? My '96 with just over 80,000 miles is still running on the original plastic intake and I haven't had any problems with it. I remember the dealer looking at it several years ago and mentioning a recall (TSB?), but the service writer told me at that time that they only replaced them when they actually cracked/leaked, and mine was fine.

Is this an "only a matter of time" issue? Should I try to get my hands on a decent used "updated" version and install it before it decides to strand me somewhere?

Marcus

#10 ·
Marcus said:
Is this an "only a matter of time" issue? Should I try to get my hands on a decent used "updated" version and install it before it decides to strand me somewhere?

Marcus
Yours may never blow, or it could blow tomorrow. If you take long trips I would go ahead and do it. If your planning on PI you might as well wait and do them at the same time (because there is alot of labor overlap and the PI intake is different).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.