TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, different car, this is on my '94 Toyota. My diff was serviced about 12 yrs ago with new LSD, and seals, etc. The axle seals have been weeping for a while, which I found strange. Upon closer inspection, the pinion seal, and basically every seal is weeping.

I checked the fluid level, which is still surprisingly full, but it made a "vacuum" sound when I took the plug out. So I took the little "poppet" vent out and because all the relatively new seals are leaking, I think it's at least somewhat clogged. If you blow on it really hard you can make it pop open, but it's not like you can feel air coming out. My plan was to get a little lacquer thinner thru it and blast it with air.

Is it okay to hit it with a full 90 psi of air?
Is the valve truly only a one-way valve? It lets air escape when the fluid heats up, but doesn't it have to pull air back in when everything cools down?

Basically, I want to get the vent working better and see if the seals still weep. I may see if I can just find a new vent.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
It should flow straight through. I would start by drilling straight through the thing with a 1/8" drill bit.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can stick a 3/16" bit all the way down till it hits the little springy thing. Sprayed it and blew it out with air, though no visible dirt came out. It takes some pressure to blow thru it, and it makes a whistling sound. I sound like the Pied Piper!

It's definitely only a one-way valve.

Al

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, should I ruin the valve by drilling thru the poppet thingy?

What would happen if you just replaced the valve with a hose barb with a small hose with K&N on it? Would outside humidity cause moisture to form inside the pumpkin? I think the same thing would happen if I drill it out - if air is allowed to be pulled back in, so will moisture from the air.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Yes. The vents on all american cars are just a hole in it, with a hose on the end run up and tucked into the frame somewhere. There is no need for a filter on the end of it, and moisture in the air is not going to contaminate anything. Even if a significant amount did get in there, a good run down the highway will get enough temperature in the diff to boil off any moisture.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would overfilling the diff cause excessive pressure buildup? Despite having a light coating of fluid on the whole underside of the diff (but no drops on the floor), fluid still came dripping out when I pulled the fill plug. I tend to fill them pretty well. I think I'll pull the fill plug and let it drip till it stops.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts