TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 LX's left side of the digital dash is dark...the portion with the gauges.
If this is a matter of changing a bulb(s), can someone tell me how it is done? Does the entire cluster need to be pulled???

TIA

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yepp! Probably a bulb or more...

You've gotta loose the steering wheel cover and then the lightswitch (just to pull)
Then remove the dash cover... Two screws in the top section of it...
in front of the "gauges"... Kind ahard to miss...
It can be a bit of hazzle to get it loose but just take it easy so you won't break
any of the small plastic parts..

To remove the digital dash there are 4 screw... Kinda Brass colored
Torx 20 if I'm not mistaken... You could use 5.5mm socket also..

Then it's just to pull it out a bit... The wires in the back are kinda short
but enough for you to get your hand in...
The wiresockets got their own "release style" Just some "touchy feely" should take care of that...
Then you see almost all the bulbs except one or two that are behind a circuit board... Same thing there.. . Just unscrew and remove...

Be careful not to break the thin blue plastic film with the circuits in them...

While you're at it, don't forget to change the buld behind the buttons on the right of the digital dash... You know E/M, Select, Reset.... Don't know what it's called..

Oh! Don't do it "the easy cheapo way" and just change the broken one's...
Change them all!!!!

Reg's
//Per A

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
digital dash bulbs

thanks a $,$$$,$$$ for the tech advice and words of encouragement.....I'll let you know how it goes....

·
Registered
40 Posts
does anybody know where i can buy the replacement bulbs for the same generation of car? i got a 1990 l that had a bulb go out. i got it apart and everything i just need to know where i can buy a set.

would this work?

http://www.microlamp.com/194-led-blue.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=261&utm_campaign=BROI&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c2931_a_7c11104_a_7c261&kwid=ZKkXBb1A&pcrid=18854163196&pdv={device}

also the missing bulb doesn't have the plastic piece that holds it in.

·
Administrator
748 Posts
Any updates on this? I was given this part number: e5sz-13b765-c. Does anybody know how many bulbs there are? Dash completely black :(

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Digital Cluster Bulbs

(E5SZ-13B765-C) or (E5SZ13B765C) is the correct Ford Part Number for the #2033 size halogen bulbs used only in the MN12 Digital Cluster..

I made a diagram so you can see how many bulbs you need..

Hopefully it's just the bulbs that burned out, and not something more serious..

Rayo..

·
Administrator
748 Posts
Good grief, eight 2033 bulbs and two 194 bulbs. Ford lists that part number as obsolete.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Good grief, eight 2033 bulbs and two 194 bulbs. Ford lists that part number as obsolete.
I know..There is NOS out there though..Just type in E5SZ-13B765-C or E5SZ13B765C in your favorite search engine..

You don't want to know what these bulbs go for though.. :facepalm:

I like what ClintD did with his Digi Cluster rather than replacing the bulbs with stock bulbs he modified it using florescent bulbs from a laptop display..

I'm sure you've seen this before, but anyways:

After I seen that pic..I almost switched my analog cluster out for a digital one I was so impressed..
:cool:

Rayo..

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know..There is NOS out there though..Just type in E5SZ-13B765-C or E5SZ13B765C in your favorite search engine..

I like what ClintD did with his Digi Cluster rather than replacing the bulbs with stock bulbs he modified it using florescent bulbs from a laptop display..

After I seen that pic..I almost switched my analog cluster out for a digital one I was so impressed..

Rayo..
First time I've seen a windshield with venetian blinds.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Rayo..
What car did that come out of your 91? And will those digi clusters work with the 94 and its harness?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
94thunderbird46 said:
Did that come out of your 91?
No
94thunderbird46 said:
Will those digi clusters work with the 94 and its harness?
No..Not unless you do some rewiring..Even then, it's probably not worth the effort..

Rayo..

·
Administrator
748 Posts
I managed to pull the cluster...and all the bulbs. Bulbs are all good. But from what I can tell,
those bulbs just run the idiot lights at the bottom of the cluster. Rest of the screen is still black.
Yes, I've seen the mod photos. Unfortunately my hubby didn't get around to doing that mod before he passed away. I am not sure how to proceed from here. I guess I can use my phone as my speedometer.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I will try to dig up pictures, but I am guessing that the circuit board is torn. Mine got torn and I ended up bypassing that part with wire. Also when it tore it grounded out and blew a 5 amp fuse as well. I found the wiring diagram posted here and I followed the illumination trace.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I managed to pull the cluster...and all the bulbs. Bulbs are all good. But from what I can tell,
those bulbs just run the idiot lights at the bottom of the cluster. Rest of the screen is still black. I am not sure how to proceed from here. I guess I can use my phone as my speedometer.

Hmmm..

You might try cleaning the contacts with some 800 grit sand paper, and rubbing alcohol..

Brandon was having some issues with his cluster due to the oxidation on the circuit board..After he cleaned the contacts his problems went away..

You can see the clean harness contacts on the left
compared to the oxidized ones on the right..

Here's more from that thread:Speedometer Oddities

If that doesn't work you're going to have to look for an electronic cluster from any 1989-1993 MN12..

Your 93 (5.0) cluster is special because it doesn't stop at 85 mph like the rest of the electronic clusters available for the MN12..

Rest assured though..The other year electronic clusters will work..

Another thing you could try is to take the Instrument Cluster Display Module out of your current cluster, and swap it with a known good one..

The Instrument Cluster Display Module controls the Temperature, Fuel, and Speedometer display..

Here's a diagram of where it's at in the electronic cluster:

As much as I like the Electronic Clusters in these cars..If my car was equipped with one, and it started giving me fits I would probably just re-wire for the Sport Cluster..

I hope that helps..
:)

Rayo..

·
Registered
14 Posts
does anyone know where to get the digital dash circuit board for a 1986 thunderbird elan 5.0. everything is digital on the dash.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Junkyard or a part out, the circuit board is long obsolete. What's wrong with it?
on the left side where the rpm,fuel,battery and so on it blinks on and off other times it is fine. Everything in the middle and right side are fine the bulbs are good so I figure the circuit board is bad on that side.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
does anyone know where to get the digital dash circuit board for a 1986 thunderbird elan 5.0. everything is digital on the dash.
Like it has already been said..The printed circuit board for the digital dash is obsolete..There isn't any NOS available anywhere that I'm aware of either..

I'll provide a Ford Part Number if you want to search for the digital dash printed circuit board yourself..

Ford Part Number: (E5SZ-10K843-G) or (E5SZ10K843G)

Ford used the same digital dash in all of the 1985-1988 Thunderbird & Cougar..That should help if you can find a good used one..

Rayo..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts