TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 95 Super Coupe with a analog cluster. I want to know before I buy it if it is possible to swap it out with a digital cluster from another model. (yes, I know it will be a lot of work.) My stolen '92 LX had a digital dash and I fell in love with it. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
It is possible, but it will be a lot of wiring. Also, unless you get a cluster built in 93, the speedo will only go up to 85mph. The 93 cluster will go all the way up to 199mph, but good luck finding one.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think it is only the 93 cluster that will go above 85 and not the 92. But besides that, even if you pulled the cluster from a 93, that is no guarantee that the cluster was manufactured in 93. The only way to tell is the date stamp on the back of the cluster, which that ebay auction does not show.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is possible, but it will be a lot of wiring. Also, unless you get a cluster built in 93, the speedo will only go up to 85mph. The 93 cluster will go all the way up to 199mph, but good luck finding one.

i bought a digital from ebay for my cougar but the plugs are different..
is it a pain in the a** to go from analog to digital??

·
Banned
754 Posts
omg why, that thing is so cool.....looks like star trek or something. I don't know if it has an overlay but could you imagine that with one of scotts faces or an reverse glow panel on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
You can run the digital dash without the PCM outputs, there are just a few things that won't work right like the fuel mileage and distance to empty.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that if you cracked open the PCM there are probably spots for other components to be added.

Just look at the mirror switch on the 96 (other years too im sure) it isn't illuminated, but it has all the holes and markings to drop an LED right into. someone actually did it.

same with the infocenter, the board has spots and markings for a switch and something else...obviously this alone wouldn't give me traction control, but I could if I added the other stuff to go with it.

I would be 50/50 that at least one model or type of PCM would have the pins or whatever to enable fuel flow.

on top of which, if you could find some electronics gurus, I'm betting you could build an after market chip to gain those functions.

·
Banned
754 Posts
the dash probably expects a different form of data than a scan gauge would put out..... not a bad idea, maybe it would work, I'm just thinking that the dash is looking for apples, but the OBD port is giving oranges.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah i liked my digital, till the computer side with all the in formation and the gas gauge started flickering on my old 90, cant tell how much gas i got in the tank or anything... and there not fun to find a replacement that still works. mine still doesn't, but i don't drive her anymore, so all is well.
but i don't think i would ever get another digital dash again, might be cool looking but its a big headache.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts